Cummins in a 1500

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Anybody know where i can find some info bout dropping a cummins into a 1999 chevy? Not the obs but the new round front end or whtever? Truck has a ls1 4.8 in it right now. any info?

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
What did you mean by front end work? Suspension or making more room in the bay or frame supports or???

G Racing

Reaction score
I can't remember the name but there is a company out of Montana that has everything to do the swap. I'll try to find it again.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I can't remember the name but there is a company out of Montana that has everything to do the swap. I'll try to find it again.

Sweet thanks!! Whats up with that truck with the turbo issue?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
What did you mean by front end work? Suspension or making more room in the bay or frame supports or???

Standard 1/2 ton components are not going to take the weight of a diesel powerplant. The Cummins 6BTA5.9 has a dry weight of 905lbs. Im gonna go out on a limb and say that at most, the 5300 vortec engine in that '99 weighted at 650lbs, Now, you are a smart kid and Im sure you can see where im going with this....

Umm I know in my 95 there were springs. But your right there are torsion bars in the newer trucks . My bad

Well from '99 up I know for a fact that there are no leaf springs on the trucks except for the rear suspension. Now I cant speak of the 3/4 and 1ton chevy trucks pre-'99 era but I know that the '88 and up chevy 1/2tons came with IFS torsion bar front ends.

Regardless, the point is, the truck would need some 3/4ton suspension off its bigger brother and possibly some additional crossmembers, etc., and thats IF the frame will take the engine...

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The frame will be modified to hold the engine of course. I just wanna know if anyone has done it. And suggestions and crap like that :D Like hey numbnuts beef up the front end. lol

roachie

Reaction score
Even with duramax 3/4 ton suspension the B series engine weighs a good 400# more than the cute litte izuzu.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Well from '99 up I know for a fact that there are no leaf springs on the trucks except for the rear suspension. Now I cant speak of the 3/4 and 1ton chevy trucks pre-'99 era but I know that the '88 and up chevy 1/2tons came with IFS torsion bar front ends.

Regardless, the point is, the truck would need some 3/4ton suspension off its bigger brother and possibly some additional crossmembers, etc., and thats IF the frame will take the engine...

that's wrong, my 95 had coils up front(2wd) , and my buddies 1999 2wd 2500 non hd is all coil spring up front also...

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
that's wrong, my 95 had coils up front(2wd) , and my buddies 1999 2wd 2500 non hd is all coil spring up front also...

Oh, my bad for not breaking it down for you..... 4wd trucks (99+) are Torsion bar equipped IFS trucks. And ALL of my 3/4 and 1ton fleet trucks carrying the 6600 engine are torsion bar equipped vehicles as well (2004-2010)

A lot of misconception on the availabilty of the Chevy IFS. Read, read, and read some more Gilligan ;)

Last edited:

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Well he never specified if it was a 4wd. I just assumed it was 2wd, other wise yes every IFS chevy front end is a torsion bar set up.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
My cousin wants to do it. And with the hp calculator @ 5500 with like 400 hp it could run low 11's

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Yes it should be possible. With some 2500 springs if they fit, I don't see why not.

Powerstroked162, he wants to go Ricky Bobby fast I guess LOL

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Well steve said he would help so it will be a success :D
jk....We we started out wanting to turbo the ls1 but I dont really like the idea and neither does he. He wants something different. He likes diesels but doesnt want a truck my size... So why not drop a cummins in his? I like the idea. Since he wants to be different this should do it! Cant find anything on the web about it. (so far). Plus if we build it then we can take turns towing each other to events lol