Manual Fog Light Switch

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am wondering if there is a way to wire in a toggle switch that will enable me to turn my fog lights off/on as I wish.

If anyone has a write up or knows of one than please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

lowbedriver

Reaction score
If you want it manual only pull out the headlight switch cut the fog light wire and run it to a relay and switch and a fused power wire on the other side

lowbedriver

Reaction score
Yes if you power the switch from the wire going to the headlights,not the wire from the fog light where you cut it from.that way it the fogs can be turned on whenever the headlights are on

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Okay... Gottcha... Is there a way to be able to run the fog lights by themselves without having to have the headlights on?

QtrHorse

Reaction score
It is not a good idea to run high amps through a switch. It would be better to run the ground through the switch if you don't want to use a relay.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
It is not a good idea to run high amps through a switch. It would be better to run the ground through the switch if you don't want to use a relay.

Oh okay. How would I go about doing this? Has anyone done this before? If so, are there any write ups?

RedSmokey

Reaction score
JBone, I have a setup in my 01 that lets me run the fogs on a switch. All I have to have on is the running lights, will also stay on with the brights if I want. Marty did a write up on it. I will see if I can find it, if not I will pop my headlight switch off and take a pic so you can see what to wires to splice into and run to a switch.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
JBone, I have a setup in my 01 that lets me run the fogs on a switch. All I have to have on is the running lights, will also stay on with the brights if I want. Marty did a write up on it. I will see if I can find it, if not I will pop my headlight switch off and take a pic so you can see what to wires to splice into and run to a switch.

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

1tonpower

Reaction score
You don't need to pu a new switch in for what you want. All you have to do is give yours existing fog relay power when the high beams come on. And your fogs will work with your parking lights on or high or low beam

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Here ya go! If you want I can still pop my headlight switch off the dash and snap a pic real quick of the wires for you so you can see what it looks like... But this is what I used to do mine and havent had any problems (im using cheap HID's in my fogs too). And the pic he has is the way I usually drive at night since my truck is lifted, my headlights will tend to be right in peoples mirrors

Well it was an idea I had about a year ago that I never followed through on. So last night I was dicking around at the shop and I was like this is a no-brainer.

On the pre-2003 strokes you can't have just the fogs and marker lights on. But now you can!

Splice into the yellow wire :doh: behind the switch and send that over to the accessory position of a toggle switch, splice into the dark brown wire :doh: and send it over to the power position of the toggle switch. If you want the switch to light up when it's got power or not then you have to ground it.

The best part about this is that you can not have your fogs on without at least the markers on so you can't accidentally leave them on w/o hearing the factory warning beeps. These are the configurations you are now able to do...

Marker lights only, marker lights w/ fogs, head lights only, headlights with fogs, high beams only, high beams with fogs.

So in essence you now have the 2003+ switch with the addition of the "bright box" mod.

I also installed some silverstar 9005 bulbs in the fog lights and they're bright as hell.

Here's a pic :D

1118082113.jpg

Last edited:

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Here ya go! If you want I can still pop my headlight switch off the dash and snap a pic real quick of the wires for you so you can see what it looks like... But this is what I used to do mine and havent had any problems (im using cheap HID's in my fogs too). And the pic he has is the way I usually drive at night since my truck is lifted, my headlights will tend to be right in peoples mirrors

Thank RedSmokey! So Im assuming I need a toggle switch with 3 connections? A pic of yours would be great!

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
You don't need to pu a new switch in for what you want. All you have to do is give yours existing fog relay power when the high beams come on. And your fogs will work with your parking lights on or high or low beam

But my knob won't even pull out until it hits the headlight position.

Latest posts

Members online