windshield leak and a few other questions

Emery19

Reaction score
so, bought the 08 in august and there really hadnt been much rain since then.. last week it was raining pretty hard. my dad was in the passenger seat and was trying to figure out why he was getting wet. Theres a leak around the windshield somewhere or one of the cab lights. water was dripping from the screw that holds the sun visor to the roof, and the headliner was saturated where it meets the a pillar plastic.

79135f20.jpg

in that picture you can see where it was wet and the screw it was dripping out of. any ideas of what could be causing this? I think it could be a badly sealed cablight because as far as i can tell the windshield is original...

the truck does have a sunroof, and i checked to make sure it was closed, but i dont think the sunroof would cause a leak there?

another thought is was this in the next picture looks aftermarket.

7fdf742f.jpg

because theres a sirius antenna on the roof and so, if this was installed maybe something happened when they pulled the headliner back? not really sure.

also tow haul mode doesnt work.. or at least the dash light doesnt so I'm assuming tow haul doesnt kick in. any idea what to check for that not working? a fuse or something somewhere?

and then just a general question. I drove a early 08 with the electronic shift on the fly 4x4 and it had cup holders that fold out of the lower dash... the truck i ended up buying was a job 3 08 but has the manual 4x4 on the floor... it doesnt have cup holders down there because I am assuming where its recessed for the shifter lever prevents it from being an available option.. see picture below

5c2f378c.jpg

I'm assuming because of that there is no way to add the extra set of cup holders? has any one done it? I really think no because of the slot cut out for the shifter, but it doesnt hurt to ask. but im betting to shift into 4x4 the cup holders would have to be up? sorry if thats a noob question hahaha.

anyways thanks in advance guys.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Does the truck have an alarm? That looks like one of the antennas for an extended range alarm. I would check that the rubber seals are under the cab lights, it could be one of them. Also on the screws I would put a little dab of a thread sealer. If the rubber seals are gone or fubared you can get gasket material pretty cheap at auto parts stores.
If it is under warranty take it in.
The cup holders I think would hit when they are folded out. They extend on each side.
On the Tow/Haul mode I seem to remember some had problems with the steering column wiring.

BFT

Reaction score
was the windshield ever changed? ive read that a few peeps had a leak from the cab lights but it was installed by them.

Emery19

Reaction score
Does the truck have an alarm? That looks like one of the antennas for an extended range alarm. I would check that the rubber seals are under the cab lights, it could be one of them. Also on the screws I would put a little dab of a thread sealer. If the rubber seals are gone or fubared you can get gasket material pretty cheap at auto parts stores.
If it is under warranty take it in.
The cup holders I think would hit when they are folded out. They extend on each side.
On the Tow/Haul mode I seem to remember some had problems with the steering column wiring.

truck has an autostart remote start.. maybe it came with an alarm? never thought of that. ill look at the cab lights when i get home next weekend. i kinda assumed that with the cup holders but i think ill let the warranty and the dealer take car of tow/haul. thanks bud.

was the windshield ever changed? ive read that a few peeps had a leak from the cab lights but it was installed by them.

windshield appears to be original. and cab lights are factory. so im not sure.

check the drain holes for the sunroof. If they get clogged water can back up and cause a leak

this might be a dumb question, but where would those be? im about 500 miles away from the truck, so i'm just trying to figure it out when i get home to see it.

Thanks for all the help guys! appreciate it!

Emery19

Reaction score
alright so little update on the truck. I've been slacking a little bit because when I'm away at school i leave this truck at home and take my ranger. over my Christmas break i had the truck in the shop and they couldnt track down the leak and narrowed down the tow haul issue to being a corroded junction box and wiring harness caused by the leak in the roof.

well fast forward to this past wednesday, i was in the middle of midterms at school, and my dad was going to use the truck to do something, because he drives it at least once or twice a week so its not just sitting, especially since it sits outside. well apparently it wouldn't start, and he didnt want to bother me with it, because he knew i wouldnt focus on midterms and try to figure out what the issues could be. well as i was leaving penn on friday to come home, he tells me it wouldnt start and that he had it towed (free towing with our insurance) to the dealer i get all my work done. all the electrionics would work, but it just wouldnt start. It needed two new batteries. well my dad just said, look into the leak in the roof. turns out the tube for the sunroof drain was split and thats where the water was coming in.

so right now the truck sitting up in the dealers garage with the headliner pulled because theyre fixing the leak, and it has 2 new batteries. they werent going to do anything but two new batteries but my dad called them and said just take care of everything get the leak and tow haul fixed and the batteries. I wasnt planning on getting this all fixed (with the exception of the batteries) till the summer when im working more, but he surprised me and he's getting everything done for me. which i didnt expect at all. amazing man my father is.

well i guess after break im bringing the 350 back to school with me, because i'm not coming home till schools over, so to move everyhting home i need the big truck. so im pretty pumped to be taking my big truck with me, as i bough it in august and turned around and went to school so i havent driven it much. so anyways. thats whats up with the truck, its all getting fixed to a tune of a little over 2 grand, but i dont think ill have to worry about anything more after that gets done. next up this summer, tune and deleting the dpf :naughty:

Emery19

Reaction score
well the title to this thread is irrelevant now, but i figured i would just update this thread so as to not start a new one, so hopefully someone will be see this in here. haha

got the truck back last Friday around 4pm. the leak in the roof was fixed and a new SJB and harness were put in. i was reading over the receipt at the counter and when the tech drove the truck, he said that that the tow haul light was inoperable. i was like. oh really? stayed polite and looked at the guy and was like. why? he said he didnt know, the tech had no answer. and i said well its possible that the light in the dash is out, but I'm not having you pull the dash again to mess with it. ill just press the button while driving to see if anything different happens.

this is friday, i was leaving on sunday to come back to PA with the truck. I had my dad drive it home, because I had to go somewhere else and I had my ranger with me. I get home later and he's like go play with the radio to see if you can get any reception. so i messed with it, and if you hit seek it just constantly searches through the channels, and theres no reception at all except for very few stations and its fuzzy. my guess is they just didnt plug back in the antenna and I just need to pull the radio and fix that, but i didnt have time because saturday was going to be dedicated to working on the ranger(stuff i could do myself) well since the dealer didnt open up till monday i said whatever, as long as the aux input works so i can play my phone and ipod across the speakers i dont care really. and that worked so i was fine.

Sunday morning I was all loaded up to go back to school, but i was stopping in Portland, about 45 minutes from home to watch my sisters dance competition quick before heading out. It had been cold so i went outside to start the truck while i ate my bagel. Starts right up but the check engine light is on.. I'm pissed at this point because the truck was just in the shop and hadn't been drive all damn week and now the light was on. well i said screw it. if something happens between here and portland then ill just get the ranger and go back to school. I get on the highway and the truck is having a real hard time keeping up to 65-70 and its reving weird. My dad was with me because I was dropping him off with my mom and sister in portland for the comp but he couldnt tell cuz i was driving. Cruise control doesnt work either. so i was pissed, i was like if they just had this whole thing apart and messed up my cruise, this 9 hour drive is gonna blow. i kinda realized after trying to hold a steady speed that the truck is in reduced power mode, doesnt rev above 2700, wont hold 65 and lugs and doesnt shift right.

i get to portland and off the highway, and the dash just reads drive to clean exhaust filter, and it was like that the whole way from the highway to where the comp was, wouldnt start to clean but i was in city traffic so i figured that was the case.

(side note, went to fuel up, the sign said 4.29 and i said ok, pulled in swipped my card, and it told me to enter amount to purchase. i was like.. er ok. 65. and then i went to pull the nozzel out and the button to turn diesel on said 4.59. i was like **** that theres no way im paying 30cents more then advertised. so i cancled and just went to watch my sister perform, ended up at the station across the street from this one and filled up for 4.25)

anyways. after i get back onto the highway, the truck seems to have full power back again, and it starts cleaning the exhaust filter. and the message stays on the whole time it was cleaning so im assuming it was really really clogged up. but i merge onto the high way and the truck revs fine, i can hold 75 miles an hour and the cruise control works. i was so confused at to why this happened and i still am. but it ran fine all the way to pa and i havent had any trouble sense.

that being said the check engine light is still one, I need to get a reader to pull the code, because the reader i do have is part of the tuner for my ranger so it wont work. if theres anyone near Selinsgrove PA that has a reader and wouldnt mind letting me pull and clear codes, i would greatly appreciate that. and if theres any insight as to why the truck decided to pull its little stunt, id love that to. haha

i know im long winded, but thanks for reading.

Latest posts

Members online