Fuel problems

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
Friend of mine has a 2007 f250 6.0 w/auto. Every 2000 miles or so the truck dies going down the road. He pulls over, puts a new lower filter in and starts right up, good for another 2000 miles or so. I asked him what the filters looked liked but he didn't know. I told him to cut one open next time and see what it looks like. I was curious to know if it would start up and run if he put the same filter back in.

Just curious if anyone has any ideas on where to start.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
What made him change the lower filter in the first place? Does he ever change the top filter?

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I get that but if my truck cuts off and the fuel filter fixes it just like that, and i wasn't due for a change, then seems like the filter would have to look like **** in a noticeable form on the outside.

2nd, In 2000 miles he may accumulate enough trash to be able to shut down his fuel pump. So it could be A. fuel lines clogged or B. a weak pump. Or it could be both.
Cutting the filter would provide some good insight of course. If its cleanish Id bet the pump. If not then you already know.

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
I get that but if my truck cuts off and the fuel filter fixes it just like that, and i wasn't due for a change, then seems like the filter would have to look like **** in a noticeable form on the outside.

2nd, In 2000 miles he may accumulate enough trash to be able to shut down his fuel pump. So it could be A. fuel lines clogged or B. a weak pump. Or it could be both.
Cutting the filter would provide some good insight of course. If its cleanish Id bet the pump. If not then you already know.

Exactly what I told him to do. Cutting the filter open will help a lot. Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
chances are he has a build up of sludge in the side of the fuel pump seen lots of trucks do this usually the lose fuel pressure and the water in fuel light stays on

Latest posts

Members online