Oil Analysis Review

Reaction score
Jim,

I'm religious with my maintenance and vehicle performance. Every oil change i send in an oil sample for analysis and then decide whether to continue use or change. regardless - i change my oil filters every 3000 miles. I owned this truck since it had 10k miles and it has been ******d since my ownership. I'm good with the maintenance but I don't cut the truck any slack. I don't race it but it surely has always seen a heavy foot once its locked up in 5th.

Recently, I took my truck on a rather long and heavy haul journey: 4000 miles with 18k LBS of load with some long 7-8% grades. this is the longest and hardest trip this truck has ever seen so i decided to do a bit of testing....

prior to departure i took an oil sample and changed my filters. upon my return i took another sample and changed my oil and filters again. the truck performed flawlessly throughout the trip. pulled most of the hills without dropping a gear and while keeping the EGTs under 1200deg always. I was pretty impressed, even through the mountains and elevations in Denver.

Now to my questions. the post trip oil samples showed an increase in lead, among other metals... I would like to know your opinion of my little test and if i would benefit from switching to your products.

P.S. if this thread offends you in any way , please just have it removed. I apologize ahead of time.

Thanks,

Pete

Attachments

• 10 F250-100715.pdf
    26.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 10 F250-101315.pdf
    24.2 KB · Views: 266

jimdawg185

Reaction score
No offense, I love to help. Can't seem to pull those reports up on tapatalk though. Let me see if I can see them on my computer later tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. I attached the PDFs that were sent from the lab. You probably can't view PDFs on Tapatalk.

I welcome everyone's input. I just wanted to make sure Jim was ok with non-LE posts in his section.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Just took a look.
Something is going on for sure. Not a fan of Blackstone reports, no soot load listed. But Im thinking the reason your vis jumped is soot spiked. That probably led to the wear you have. I wouldnt take that oil past 5k if I were you. Its not robust enough for that.
6.4s like our oil, but how much better would be by testing it.
Just for a comparison I will show you my report.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
A ton of dirt and coolant at 17000 on the oil and you can compare iron and lead to yours. Cracked block is why the coolant is in there. Loose glow plug seal is why all the dirt is in there. Oil just shrugs it off and keeps performing.

410c49d9865717920481206b9e704ec6.jpg

Reaction score
Viscosity has never spiked before. So, I would attribute that to some recent change: heavy-haul or engine internal change.

Can you elaborate on your comment of the oil's robustness?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
The common off the shelf mineral based oils do not have the ability to deal with the severe conditions in our engines. They just don't last under any adverse conditions. The rise in vis is 98% likely to be soot load. That was probably brought on by the engine load. Speculation without soot load on the report and no TBN.

What generally happens when someone switches to my oil is the ringlands clean up and the rings seat better. That lowers fuel dilution and soot loading. The higher quality add pack handles the rest. As you can see on my report.

Sahrens0202

Reaction score
Jimmy, you are more than welcome to post some of my samples up. I would agree with the soot thing that you said as I currently have 3500 miles on the current change and it still looks red. Before with the Mobile 1 it would look black within 1k miles of change. I am probably going to wait until I get back from ND to get a sample as I should have close to 5k on it then.

Latest posts

Members online