Doing pinion bearings

Viking

Reaction score
I don't wanna throw 800 bucks I was quoted to do pinion bearings into my truck. This is my 99 v10 sterling 10.5, that's really the plow truck and back-up for if the 7.3 goes down. Just call my rear axle the werewolf from all the howling it does haha.

I can do everything except the backlash, i've never done that.

Any tips?

Last edited:

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Backlash is pretty simple. If your just replacing pinion bearings you may be able to use the factory shims and maintain a backlash that's within spec. The machining for bearings is pretty precise so everything should go back together the exact same way.

I'd also replace the carrier bearings if your gonna go as far to replace the pinion bearings.

Have you ever dealt with a crush sleeve and setting pinion preload?

Last edited:

Viking

Reaction score
Backlash is pretty simple. If your just replacing pinion bearings you may be able to use the factory shims and maintain a backlash that's within spec. The machining for bearings is pretty precise so everything should go back together the exact same way.

I'd also replace the carrier bearings if your gonna go as far to replace the pinion bearings.

Have you ever dealt with a crush sleeve and setting pinion preload?

I haven't done it alone but have assisted.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
It is not that bad. I set them up by feel then use the dial inidcator.
Use the same shims on the pinion then set the backlash with the carrier.
Just verify the pinion depth before you start playing with the backlash.
On the crush sleeve, you can get it started with a vise. Seems to have worked for me.
On the pre-load I do that by feel also. in-lb is not much.

Viking

Reaction score
right on, im looking at going and getting my own dial indicator instead of borrowing my buddies. Figure since im gunna be doing my own drivetrain work might as well have the tools.

so i hope to have this beast back on the road very soon!

thanks guys

Latest posts

Members online