Oil consumption

psdguy95

Reaction score
I do believe my turbo is part of it. It has 225k on it. How hard are they to rebuild? I've never done it.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
I do believe my turbo is part of it. It has 225k on it. How hard are they to rebuild? I've never done it.

Very easy. The rebiuld kit comes with everything you need, granted the shaft and wheels are in good shape. Hardest part is getting the turbo out. I had most problems with the back pedistal bolts. I had to take a 1/4 inch 6 inch extention and cut an edge around where the socket goes on to. To make a homemade swivel. And finaly got it out. But once the turbo is out its pretty straight forward. Be carful with all the parts, dont drop your compressor wheel like I did. :doh:

Also. While you got the turbo out, IDK what your plans are with the truck but if you plan on keeping the stock turbo for now I personally would suggest getting the 1.00 exhaust housing for it. I did on mine and I like it. Theres been plenty of talk on here about this housing so I wont go into much detail. But I will say that with the minor mods in my sig, I can easily hit 21 lbs boost. Thats with stock sticks and tuning. Stock boost levels for these trucks are only 13-16. But ive heard people say 15-18 too. Still, 21 lbs, I cant argue with that.

psdguy95

Reaction score
Very easy. The rebiuld kit comes with everything you need, granted the shaft and wheels are in good shape. Hardest part is getting the turbo out. I had most problems with the back pedistal bolts. I had to take a 1/4 inch 6 inch extention and cut an edge around where the socket goes on to. To make a homemade swivel. And finaly got it out. But once the turbo is out its pretty straight forward. Be carful with all the parts, dont drop your compressor wheel like I did. :doh:

Also. While you got the turbo out, IDK what your plans are with the truck but if you plan on keeping the stock turbo for now I personally would suggest getting the 1.00 exhaust housing for it. I did on mine and I like it. Theres been plenty of talk on here about this housing so I wont go into much detail. But I will say that with the minor mods in my sig, I can easily hit 21 lbs boost. Thats with stock sticks and tuning. Stock boost levels for these trucks are only 13-16. But ive heard people say 15-18 too. Still, 21 lbs, I cant argue with that.

I have a special wrench I made to fit behind the turbo. I'll look into one of the rebuilt kits. My plans for the truck are a d66 and stage 1 or 2's one day. Right now with my stock turbo and Sticks with tuning I've seen 26 pounds of boost. I kinda want to try the smaller housing though.