Cylinder heads: Ported vs Stock?

derrick36

Reaction score
If the answer has already been posted somewhere, I apologize in advance. I just don't recall anyone addressing my question.

I thought there were a couple different vendors that offered cylinder head porting services, but Elite seems to be the only one who has posted info.

I've seen their CFM increases posted on the boards and in Diesel Power but I have never seen any definitive numbers posted as to what those increased numbers do for HP/TRQ figures, track times, spool up times, etc.

I'm guessing the answer is "no" but does anyone have any experience or knowledge of what kind of increases are made with Elite's(or anyone else's)ported heads vs. stock?

The combo doesn't really matter because there are so different ways to skin a cat, but if there is anyone out there that has done any dynoing, spent time at the track before and after installing ported heads, it would be nice to hear what kind of increases(if any)there were.

Of if there is anyone who knows how much is left on the table if a person doesn't opt for ported heads with their combo, that would would work as well.

I may be asking for the impossible but I figured it'd be worth a shot.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I don't think they are worth it unless you do bigger turbos. They are going to help some with spool up and getting rid of some of the smoke. I doubt anyone has done a swap and compared before and after HP/TQ numbers or track times.

derrick36

Reaction score
I don't think they are worth it unless you do bigger turbos. They are going to help some with spool up and getting rid of some of the smoke. I doubt anyone has done a swap and compared before and after HP/TQ numbers or track times.

Yeah, I get that the gains are seen on the higher horsepower rigs, I'm just wondering what those gains are...

IIRC a fully ported set from Elite runs in the range of $6k. What is a person(who needs them)getting for that dollar amount?

Like this truck: http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050

What does he leave on the table if he only gets the upgraded valve train and opts not to get the ported heads? Are we talking sizeable numbers?

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
That I don't know....and am curious if anyone really knows. As far as I know the only comparable numbers to before and after is CFM, like you stated.

benbou00

Reaction score
My heads are suppose to be ported some, but as to how much I'm not sure. Jesse would have to answer the question on that one.

derrick36

Reaction score
That I don't know....and am curious if anyone really knows. As far as I know the only comparable numbers to before and after is CFM, like you stated.

Yeah, I don't know if anyone will have anything but I thought I'd throw it out there.

If anything, maybe it'll spark a good discussion...

derrick36

Reaction score
My heads are suppose to be ported some, but as to how much I'm not sure. Jesse would have to answer the question on that one.

By chance are you adding them to an already existing upgraded combo, or are they going on with a bunch of other stuff?

redx

Reaction score
I'm in the same predicament on my build, opted to use GOGO valvetrain and have a local do the headwork(hardened valve seats, porting, port match and assemble) for about $2500 less than elites price. Not entirely sold on the porting making a huge difference, more doing it for hardened valve seats.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
I'm interested in this same thing...my truck is goin under the knife in 2-3 weeks and I'm trying to figure out if I wanna go this route or just stay stock heads/upgraded valvetrain

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Yeah, I get that the gains are seen on the higher horsepower rigs, I'm just wondering what those gains are...

IIRC a fully ported set from Elite runs in the range of $6k. What is a person(who needs them)getting for that dollar amount?

Like this truck: http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050

What does he leave on the table if he only gets the upgraded valve train and opts not to get the ported heads? Are we talking sizeable numbers?

I wish I had 900 on fuel. Besides his upgraded air, fuel and trans with also the live tuning, there's not too many other power building mods listed. Maybe the ported heads actually helped out.

White_monster

Reaction score
If you want to see how much of a gain ported heads are find out how much air your planned turbo or turbos going to push. Stock heads flow about 1800cfm's and stock turbos push no where near that. The porting would allow for a smoother flow and you might be able to increase the swirl of the air as it enters the cylinder. I'd say unless your going to high powers or bigger there's no real point and adding nitrous makes the air flow better yet. Hope this helps

White_monster

Reaction score
I'll agree that every bit helps. But there's restrictions before the heads themselves that create flow problems. Can our heads flow enough air for stock turbos or mild upgraded ones, the answer is yes. Sure a ported set can help out but what's the cost vs the actual gain. If it costs close to $6k for these heads and you only pick up 60hp on stock or mild turbos that's not really worth it to me. I mean your not gonna get a noticeably huge difference. We put heads on thou cause then the heads don't have to come off later if we upgrade. A test I'd like to see is testing the flow of heads with the intake manifold on with all stock. I'm not sure if you can flow the 2 pieces together but it would be a neat test and might change our views on this issue. I think the intake manifold is a larger restriction than the heads.

derrick36

Reaction score
I'll agree that every bit helps. But there's restrictions before the heads themselves that create flow problems. Can our heads flow enough air for stock turbos or mild upgraded ones, the answer is yes. Sure a ported set can help out but what's the cost vs the actual gain. If it costs close to $6k for these heads and you only pick up 60hp on stock or mild turbos that's not really worth it to me. I mean your not gonna get a noticeably huge difference. We put heads on thou cause then the heads don't have to come off later if we upgrade. A test I'd like to see is testing the flow of heads with the intake manifold on with all stock. I'm not sure if you can flow the 2 pieces together but it would be a neat test and might change our views on this issue. I think the intake manifold is a larger restriction than the heads.

Interesting point on the intake manifold. Also, you kinda touched on what I'm curious about. What does $5-6k worth of ported heads equal out(performance wise)for a person who needs them(higher hp rigs)? I don't really care what they do on a stock/mild engine. That's clearly not what they're geared towards.

Thanks for the insight!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
My ported heads made a hell of a difference. I'm about to try an experimental set shortly and may be much cheaper.

jdgleason

Reaction score
6k is for a whole new set with a valvetrain tho. Just getting your heads ported is right around 2k just so everyone is on the same page...

Latest posts

Members online