Sky Adj. Track Bar Bushing Life Expectancy

AZStang

Reaction score
My truck has begun exhibiting a slight death wobble lately. Steering wheel turns back and forth violently in my hands when going over bumps at speeds between 30-45 or so. My alignment shop said, and I verified, that the track bar bushings are worn. I'm running SD springs with the Sky adjustable track bar that is only 9 months and 10,000 miles old.

Anyone else experience this with the Sky track bar? I thought the bushings seemed pretty soft when I installed it.

Thanks,
Shawn

Tom S

Reaction score
How well aligned is your trackbar with the sky kit. Did you use the adjustable one?

AZStang

Reaction score
How well aligned is your trackbar with the sky kit. Did you use the adjustable one?

I'm not understanding your alignment question Tom. Aligned with what? I have a drop pitman arm on the steering and the Sky track bar drop plate, that lowers the stock track bar bracket, and the Sky adjustable track bar.

I know its a different animal but my o5 icon bushing gets replaced once a year .

The guys at my alignment shop said they have to replace most aftermarket bushings fairly often as well too. I haven't even made it a year yet though. Seems like if it's normal, I'd be replacing them every six months.

Thanks,
Shawn

Tom S

Reaction score
My question was does the trackbar bracket line up with the axel for and aft? I was thinking if they are misaligned then it would want to not load the rubber bushing evenly. The factory one I got with my dana 60 has 240k and it not wore out.

AZStang

Reaction score
My question was does the trackbar bracket line up with the axel for and aft? I was thinking if they are misaligned then it would want to not load the rubber bushing evenly. The factory one I got with my dana 60 has 240k and it not wore out.

Everything is aligned. The bushings on the Sky adjustable track bar are nothing like the stock bushings. They are much larger and much softer. It's hard to tell from their picture below, but the wall thickness of the steel on the outer end of the track bar is 1/8" resulting in ±1/4" of rubber surrounding the inner steel bushing. That rubber felt more like neoprene. It is really soft and compliant.

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/images/products/204_1223484581.jpg

Tom S

Reaction score
Ok those look kind like what went in my trackbar. My first inclination would be to see if I could find a poly replacement for those. If they are some sort of standard size I bet that is an option. I wonder if Cary has any ideas.

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
i would have to say its not your trac bar. ive run without my trac bar in at 75+ mph with no issues. i would look into tire balance and other things

AZStang

Reaction score
Any luck on this?

I talked to someone at Sky's who was very helpful and said that he personally has had the same track bar in his truck with the original bushings for 8 years. Said the bushings are made from a mil-spec polyurethane. I haven't pulled the bushings to inspect, but there is less than 1/16" of movement when rocking the steering wheel back and forth. My alignment guy said that much movement indicates the bushings need to be replaced, but Sky's said that's normal. They only have 5,000 miles on them since new as well.

I aired up the tires a little more and that seemed to help. I also adjusted the steering gear box and that also seemed to help. The only other thing is that the tie rods and drag link make a loud clunking sound when rocking the steering wheel back and forth, but none of the joints is loose enough to show any slop in the lateral direction. I hate to replace them only to find out they were fine, but I think they may be original to the truck. I think I'm going to get a second opinion from another shop.

Are you running BFGs?

Kuhmo Road Venture 315/75/16.

I would bet my money on your shocks are getting weak

Bilstein 5125's installed 5,000 miles ago - they better not be getting weak. Also rebuilt the front axle at the same time - all new bearings, bushings, and U-joints. XRF ball joints installed at that time as well. I checked them this past weekend too just to be sure and they are still tight. I also re-torqued the wheel bearings a couple weeks ago.

Shawn

AZStang

Reaction score
Second shop also condemned the track bar bushings, so I have them on order. It's probably the cheapest thing to try at least. I'll update again after I get them installed.

Shawn

Tom S

Reaction score
What kind of bushings are you putting back in there? I am hoping on my RSK that if Trevor makes a drop trackbar mount I can use the stock track bar or at least have that as an option.

Gearhead

Reaction score
How did you adjust your bar when you installed it? Too much preload one way or the other can cause it to wear out the bushings prematurely.

AZStang

Reaction score
What kind of bushings are you putting back in there? I am hoping on my RSK that if Trevor makes a drop trackbar mount I can use the stock track bar or at least have that as an option.

Stock polyurethane from Sky.

How did you adjust your bar when you installed it? Too much preload one way or the other can cause it to wear out the bushings prematurely.

Before beginning the RSK and SD spring install, I hung a plumb bob from several locations on the frame and axle and transfered the marks to the concrete floor. After the springs were in, I set the truck back on the ground and hung the plumb bob again. Everything lined up with the same marks I had previously made on the floor. I then put the track bar in and adjusted it so there was some tension on it. I wasn't real sure how to adjust it so maybe I have too much tension on it?

Thanks
Shawn

AZStang

Reaction score
Busings arrived yesterday and I installed them last night. After pulling the track bar out, I didn't have very high hopes that this was going to fix the problem. The old bushing seemed just as "tight" as the new ones. They sure made a difference though. All the wobble is gone now. I checked my mileage and the last ones were in for just shy of 9,000 miles.

I still have my stock track bar that has fairly new bushings in it and I was comparing it with the Sky bushings. I'm using the stock metric bolts to mount the bar and I noticed they fit tighter into the metal sleeves in the stock bushings when compared to the Sky sleeves. Not sure how that would cause the bushings to weaken over time. It looks like the sleeves from the stock bushings could be used with the Sky bushings though.

Shawn

Tom S

Reaction score
Does it look like the Trackbar was moving in the mount at all?

Latest posts

Members online