New Intake Manifolds

Chrisf97305

Reaction score
Since pulling season is over, its time to get out the welder and make inprovements for next year. First up is new intake Manifolds, and to mount my water to air intercooler in the middle of the engine.

This is a picture of what I thought would work.

PA015952.JPG

I thought it was a good idea till I tryed to bolt it to the heads. Thats when I ran into some problems.

PA015958.JPG

Yes using 3" pipe I had to make something so I could bolt them to the head.

That did not work so its now gen 2

PA015951.JPG

I know its kind of hard to see just what I have but just waite its going to be so kool.

PA015943.JPG

The way its going to work is the air will come into the intercooler in the front of the engine, go through the intercooler then from the back of the engine the air will feed the intakes. The neet thing about using this log setup is that I can plumb the water injection and the NOS. in all along the intake. The plain is to plumb the water from the botton, 2 nozzels for water and on top 3 nozzles for the NOS. Allmost direct port injection. Well that is what I am thinking as of now. We all know how things change as the welder meets the metal. Will update as things come together.

Last edited:

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
Looks interesting. Why are you feeding from the back of the engine? Also isn't there a negitive affect in increasing plenum volume?

Chrisf97305

Reaction score
Looks interesting. Why are you feeding from the back of the engine? Also isn't there a negitive affect in increasing plenum volume?

Since there is no turbo in the middle of the engine bay anymore, I am going to put my water to air intercooler there. The cooler will be fed from the front and to the intake from the rear.
The only negitive that I can think of is maybe a little turbo lag, But with the increased plemum volume should even out the boost spikes.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I know you had a couple choice words when you cracked that icp sensorLOL

Them damn things are too expensive to be leaving in during any kind of serious engine work.

Chrisf97305

Reaction score
I know you had a couple choice words when you cracked that icp sensorLOL

Them damn things are too expensive to be leaving in during any kind of serious engine work.

That one was not on me. This is a junk engine that I am using for mock up.
you are right thay are expensive.

Chrisf97305

Reaction score
More up date. Got some more pipe and now I have it all tacked together. And it looks like it will fit under the hood. Now its time to weld it all together and grind it all smooth.

PA185968.JPG

PA185969.JPG

PA185970.JPG

and here is the reason for the inlet to be at the back of the engine. It was to make room for the water to air inter-cooler.

PA185975.JPG

PA185977.JPG

i will be installing it in the truck over Thanksgiving Holiday.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Might consider V-bands at this point, it will save you alot of trouble in the future.

Otherwise.....I think your on to something good here.

Chrisf97305

Reaction score
Once I get it all together and the way I want it then I will V-band every where I can. I am only running 50 to 60 psi of boost so it should not be to much of a problem.

Chrisf97305

Reaction score
in order to use this type of manifold you have to move the turbo from the middle of the engine. but will keep that in mind