Tire Advice Needed

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
OK guys - I am looking for a set o tires in the 35-36" size range to be mounted on 20x9.5 rims on a dually project I am working on. I've been leaning towards a Mickey Thompson ATZ or MTZ tires - but am open to other suggestions - even maybe a bit bigger on size if needed to get the tire I need.

These will be multipurpose tires - daily driving, towing (a 36" gooseneck), a little bit of drag racing at the local tracks for fun, must perform good in snow and ice as well as heavy rain, basically they need to be a very well rounded tire.

What kind of experiences do you guys have with the ATZ and MTZ in the winter and in the rain?

Any tires that I need to be looking at that I am not looking at?

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
I would recommend the ATZ. I put 36k miles on mine before the truck was stolen and they still looked great, a little more than half tread, with plenty of heavy towing miles. From people I've talked to that have been on the track with them, they seem to hook great for an aggressive tire. I never did have them in the snow, but they perform great on wet roads. They also did very well OffRoad. Not heavy mud, but a little sloppy in the pastures. I was 100% pleased with them and they are going on the new ride as well. Just my 2¢

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I would recommend the ATZ. I put 36k miles on mine before the truck was stolen and they still looked great, a little more than half tread, with plenty of heavy towing miles. From people I've talked to that have been on the track with them, they seem to hook great for an aggressive tire. I never did have them in the snow, but they perform great on wet roads. They also did very well OffRoad. Not heavy mud, but a little sloppy in the pastures. I was 100% pleased with them and they are going on the new ride as well. Just my 2¢

I would have sworn that you had MTZs....

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
No sir. ATZ's

c6e4e09a-6aad-a7f4.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score
Id say the procomp extreme at is a great tire as well but the price is a very large deterrent. The 35x13.5 size in particular the MT is a hair over 400/tire whereas the procomp is 540. Ive heard the procomps wear extremely well but for $600 more per set its not worth it, imo. From the sounds of it the atz wears liek iron too.

I also want to see if general grabber at/2's come in that size. Another option if so.

smokedout250

Reaction score
I have pro comp extreme ats on my truck! I love them handle great on the road, do good in the mud and do great in the snow.. I do a lot of mixed driving but on the road 5 days a week they are wearing decent.... But I have an obs with the ttb we all know how they cup even with that factor i should see 35 to 40k out of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
OK guys - I am looking for a set o tires in the 35-36" size range to be mounted on 20x9.5 rims on a dually project I am working on. I've been leaning towards a Mickey Thompson ATZ or MTZ tires - but am open to other suggestions - even maybe a bit bigger on size if needed to get the tire I need.

These will be multipurpose tires - daily driving, towing (a 36" gooseneck), a little bit of drag racing at the local tracks for fun, must perform good in snow and ice as well as heavy rain, basically they need to be a very well rounded tire.

What kind of experiences do you guys have with the ATZ and MTZ in the winter and in the rain?

Any tires that I need to be looking at that I am not looking at?

I'm looking for the same thing since my pizza cutter tires aren't going to work to much longer, glad you started this thread! Are you going to be running custom rims like Scotty?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I'm looking for the same thing since my pizza cutter tires aren't going to work to much longer, glad you started this thread! Are you going to be running custom rims like Scotty?

Ultimately that is the plan - for the time being though I think I might be leaving the truck a SRW setup and running the brand new set of wheels and tires that I have had in the shop for a while for the '79 project - at least until I get the new DRW bed built for the truck. I've broken the project down into stages and there is just no way I can accomplish all of it in one step like I wanted to. The downside of doing all your own work I guess. LOL

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Ultimately that is the plan - for the time being though I think I might be leaving the truck a SRW setup and running the brand new set of wheels and tires that I have had in the shop for a while for the '79 project - at least until I get the new DRW bed built for the truck. I've broken the project down into stages and there is just no way I can accomplish all of it in one step like I wanted to. The downside of doing all your own work I guess. LOL

I do really like those SRW rims/ tires sitting in the shop! Is this for a new project truck or the 79' project? And the part in bold is the damn truth!

Last edited:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I do really like those SRW rims/ tires sitting in the shop! Is this for a new project truck or the 79' project? And the part in bold is the damn truth!

I posted this for new wheels for the Dmax, the '79 is still planning on being a SRW truck. Just time to update things a bit on the old gal.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Ah very interesting, in that case I say to hell with the SRW's and throw six tire's and wheels on her!

Yeah... and to do six tires and wheels I need to begin and finish construction on my custom designed HRT western hauler style shortbed flatbed.... That is going to take some time to finish because of the way I want to build it - based on a set of cut up factory shortbox bedsides and fitted with Dodge megacab dually flares.... yeah its a bit of an undertaking. LOL

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Yeah... and to do six tires and wheels I need to begin and finish construction on my custom designed HRT western hauler style shortbed flatbed.... That is going to take some time to finish because of the way I want to build it - based on a set of cut up factory shortbox bedsides and fitted with Dodge megacab dually flares.... yeah its a bit of an undertaking. LOL

Well get to it, now I'm really interested! I gotta see some pictures of this when it starts happening!!

Sounds sweet for sure!

JDub

Reaction score
I had the Nitto Trail Grappler in 295/65R20 on my 2008 truck. That size would probably fit your need perfectly. 35.5" tall but it's only 12" wide. Would probably work good on a dually, plus they have a load rating of 4080lbs, so they are at least an 'E' rating.

MINK

Reaction score
Why not go back to some bfg a/ts? You've only owned like 1,000,000 sets...

If not I also agree the atzs would work well for you.

UPINSMOKE

Reaction score
Even though I have only had my atz's on the truck for 5000 miles, I couldn't be happier. They have done well in the mud, and aren't too loud as far as road noise goes. Just a slight whine, nothing obnoxious.

My tires are 325/50/r20 fwiw, not as tall as you wanna go but just as wide.

$.02

UPINSMOKE

Reaction score
I also owned a set of 35" mtz's on my old blue and silver truck. I absolutely loved those tires. Little louder on the road, but I put 70,000 miles on them and still had just under half tread! Then I sold the truck.

I don't tow anything more than a jetski however. So I can't tell you how either would last or handle towing a lot of weight.

My best advice is to rotate the tires religiously. I think that was the key to getting so many miles out of the mtz's.