Front end question

zilla68

Reaction score
I had my truck aligned about a year ago, and probably only put 1000 miles on it since, and never took it back to get the steering wheel straightened back out, as they set it a hair off.
I ran it back by the place since they do "free alignment" checks, and to get my tires balanced and rotated. Anyways they said alignment is perfect, but wanted to charge me another alignment fee to fix the steering wheel issue.

Its totally my fault for never returning to get it fixed, but I wasn't going to pay another alignment fee, so what do I need to adjust to fix my issue?

I'll just do it myself if possible.

thanks ahead

jmsmith76

Reaction score
All they do to straighten out the steering wheel is loosen the tie rod connecting sleeve and use a wrench to rotate it one way or the other and do the same number of rotations on the other side. Except they have a computer that tells them which way to rotate and how many times

kampy

Reaction score
All they do to straighten out the steering wheel is loosen the tie rod connecting sleeve and use a wrench to rotate it one way or the other and do the same number of rotations on the other side. Except they have a computer that tells them which way to rotate and how many times

Don't do that, thats how you adjust the toe-in/out. Instead, adjust the sleeve on the drag link, the one that comes off the steering box. Loosen the 15mm nuts and use a pair of channel locks, turn the sleeve 1/2 turn at a time until the steering wheel is where you want it. Just make sure you tighten the two 15mm nuts back up or bad things could happen.

weareweird69

Reaction score
Don't do that, thats how you adjust the toe-in/out. Instead, adjust the sleeve on the drag link, the one that comes off the steering box. Loosen the 15mm nuts and use a pair of channel locks, turn the sleeve 1/2 turn at a time until the steering wheel is where you want it. Just make sure you tighten the two 15mm nuts back up or bad things could happen.

That is the correct answer.

Make sure the key is "on" though, so the wheel will not be "locked" Itll be easier to do then.

Latest posts

Members online