1st time towing

Armybyrd

Reaction score
Hey guys tomorrow I'll be renting a uhaul car trailer and towing a '11 mb ml350 across country for 1600 miles. My truck is a '08 f250 with the 6.4, brand new tires(Pirelli scorpion atr) and its crew cab with 2wd. I'm guessing this truck shouldn't have a problem pulling this suv? Also from what I've read I'm expecting around 8-9mpg. Any tips for a first time tow?

jaybuller

Reaction score
Don't try to go through the atm drive through. Don't forget around sharp turns to make it a little wider swing. Check and recheck your hitch connection.

The truck will handle it just fine. It would do twice that weight without problems. And your mileage will depend on your speed. Go fast and you'll likely get less than 10 go 55 and you'll likely get over 12. Good luck.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Give youself more lead time to the car in front of you. Your 8000lb truck will now be 15000 or so so your stopping distance is gonna be a hell of a lotlonger.

TyCorr

Reaction score
And maybe hit a church parking lot and do a few circles to see how you are doing. Look at the lines and pretend its a street. Try backing into a spot without running over the lines. Or two spots. Maybe try backing down a while aisle and around a corner. Nothing worse than someone on a roadway who takes off and gets spooked.

Armybyrd

Reaction score
Well about 1600 miles later I consider myself very acquainted with driving with a car trailer. Lol we even came across some very steep inclines in the Pennsylvania/wv area but the truck didn't have any trouble going up at 60 mph with ease although I'll admit the declines were a bit scary. We're heading back tonight but driving without the trailer will be a million times better.