Need help with power locks

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I need help figuring out why the power locks won't work in my buddies truck, it's a 2004 CCSB lariat. He said one day a friend of his kept locking and unlocking the truck over and over and finally the locks quit. Now when we press the buttons they occassionally lock/unlock, but when he gets going a certain speed they always lock automatically so that makes me think the actuators are still good. We've checked the fuses and swapped the relays around, we've also swapped out my front buttons with his thinking that could be it but they still don't work. Can anyone help me out here? It's bugging me that they don't work lol

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
From experience from an f 150...If the fuse isnt blown the motors could be burned. Mine got really really weak. There just not meant to be abused. Anybodys screws with my 250 like that they get a stern talking to lol :slap:

06f3506.0

Reaction score
with you switching relays and buttons and checking for fuses him pressing the buttons so much could have caused a short somewhere. im just throwing that out there? or one button could be messing up and causing them all to jack up maybe wires rubbing togehter to cause it idk.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
Was he unlocking/locking over and over on the drivers door?

That's my understanding, which made me think it was something in that switch. We were trying to figure out the issue the other day and when we both were pressing buttons sometimes they locked/unlocked but there was no pattern to it

Atsah

Reaction score
Did you pop the pod off the drivers door and look at the connectors? Pull the connector with the wireing harness off and reseat it, could be the dumbazz loosened the connection..
Move the wires around and see if you can get them to work consistenty..

Seems to me that if it's intermittent, there may very well be a loose connection from him constantly pushing it..

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
Did you pop the pod off the drivers door and look at the connectors? Pull the connector with the wireing harness off and reseat it, could be the dumbazz loosened the connection..
Move the wires around and see if you can get them to work consistenty..

Seems to me that if it's intermittent, there may very well be a loose connection from him constantly pushing it..

We tried switching all of my front switches with his and it didn't affect anything, in fact his switches worked fine on my truck iirc

Atsah

Reaction score
IDK, sounds like there is a short somewhere if his switches work fine in your truck.. Could be he wrecked the Door Lock Actuator..

Last edited:

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
I've been through lock issues on 2 different trucks. In my experience, issues with locks almost always come down to the actuators in the doors. On my last truck I spent a ton of time chasing what seemed like a switch or relay or wiring issue...in the end, replacing the 4 actuators fixed all my issues.

Atsah

Reaction score
This may help...

I finally got tired of my non-working PDL's and decided to tear into my truck and find/fix the problem. There has been many discussions about possible issues and I have concluded that the majority of us are seeing actuator motor problems and not relays, switches etc. Ill start by saying the problem I have had is that when I hit the switch, the locks attempt to move and after repeated attempts, the signal appears to get weaker and weaker until nothing....I assumed relay or switch.....NOT THE CASE!

First I started by testing the signal at the harness plug to the actuator. Perfect. No issues here. Next I completely removed the actuator/lock mechanism and bench tested them with 12V..Here lies the problem. The actuator acted the same as when in the truck. First I did a thorough cleaning of all of the mechanism so it works freely and still had the same results. Here's where it get's tricky. These things are built so that they are NOT serviceable. I had already decided that they were going to need to be replaced, so I decided to break them open for closer inspection. It comes apart relatively easily, but appears that It cannot be put back together once apart. I drilled out two small rivets and then pried the case apart. As you pry the case apart you'll notice these small little plastic rods protrude up through the case cover. These rods are then "mushroomed" with heat through the upper case and then sealed with some kind of silicone. When you pry apart the case the "mushroom" head breaks off and the rod remains. You can dig out the silicone and mushroom head with a pick. It comes out very easy. Inside you will find a very small motor and some gear mechanism. I believed the problem at first to be worn brushes or dirty commutator contacts in the motor itself. You'll have to bend two little metal tabs out and pull off the brush housing on the back of the motor. I cleanded the gunk off the brushes and took 1500 grit to the commutator contacts and reassembled the motor. The motor worked, but if you applied even a slight amount of resistance on the armature, it would stop the motor. It should have been WAY stronger than this. I was stumped until I looked a little closer at the inside of the plastic brush housing. Inside you'll find a small, thin rectangular (thermal resistor relay, dodad, thingamabob??) pardon my ingnorance, but I'm not sure what to call it. All I know is that this little part is what keeps you from burning up the motor, should you continue to press the switch once the lock has been actuated. It appears that this thing wears out over time and will not allow enough signal to get through to the motor to make it work. THE FIX. I am cheap. Since I had done so much work up to this point, I decided that I would go a little further and try to make it work without spending the $$. I have better things to spend my money on than actuators. I took a small piece of aluminum foil and wrapped the "thing" voila! Perfectly working motor! I sat there and operated the thing for 10 minutes including one or two times stopping the armature and holding down the switch to see what would happen. The motor builds heat, but not much. Not enough to worry about. Now that I had a good working motor I decided I would try and reassemble the unit. The problem is you cannot glue the unit together as there is a rubber gasket around the perimiter of the case and if you tried to glue the rods into the case, you would not have enough pressure on the two halves of the case to keep the gears in place (these things actually apply a great deal of torque on the case) What I decided to do is completely break off the plastic rods flush with the bottom side of the case and then drill out the bottom case and screw it together. This worked perfectly. You'll need screws that are the same diameter as the holes in the top of the case to keep it from "wandering". Also the screws should not protrude through the back of the unit as some of the mechanism has some pretty close tolerances and a screw sticking through the back would not allow some of the mechanism to work (this can be remedied with a decent set of wire dikes or a hacksaw). I know all of this is hard to picture, but if you do decide to try this fix, you'll see what I am describing here. The locks are back in and working flawlessly.

Atsah

Reaction score
Gives you an idea how it works anyway.. I'm dizzy from reading that damn thing..LOL

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I've been through lock issues on 2 different trucks. In my experience, issues with locks almost always come down to the actuators in the doors. On my last truck I spent a ton of time chasing what seemed like a switch or relay or wiring issue...in the end, replacing the 4 actuators fixed all my issues.

This may help...

I finally got tired of my non-working PDL's and decided to tear into my truck and find/fix the problem. There has been many discussions about possible issues and I have concluded that the majority of us are seeing actuator motor problems and not relays, switches etc. Ill start by saying the problem I have had is that when I hit the switch, the locks attempt to move and after repeated attempts, the signal appears to get weaker and weaker until nothing....I assumed relay or switch.....NOT THE CASE!

First I started by testing the signal at the harness plug to the actuator. Perfect. No issues here. Next I completely removed the actuator/lock mechanism and bench tested them with 12V..Here lies the problem. The actuator acted the same as when in the truck. First I did a thorough cleaning of all of the mechanism so it works freely and still had the same results. Here's where it get's tricky. These things are built so that they are NOT serviceable. I had already decided that they were going to need to be replaced, so I decided to break them open for closer inspection. It comes apart relatively easily, but appears that It cannot be put back together once apart. I drilled out two small rivets and then pried the case apart. As you pry the case apart you'll notice these small little plastic rods protrude up through the case cover. These rods are then "mushroomed" with heat through the upper case and then sealed with some kind of silicone. When you pry apart the case the "mushroom" head breaks off and the rod remains. You can dig out the silicone and mushroom head with a pick. It comes out very easy. Inside you will find a very small motor and some gear mechanism. I believed the problem at first to be worn brushes or dirty commutator contacts in the motor itself. You'll have to bend two little metal tabs out and pull off the brush housing on the back of the motor. I cleanded the gunk off the brushes and took 1500 grit to the commutator contacts and reassembled the motor. The motor worked, but if you applied even a slight amount of resistance on the armature, it would stop the motor. It should have been WAY stronger than this. I was stumped until I looked a little closer at the inside of the plastic brush housing. Inside you'll find a small, thin rectangular (thermal resistor relay, dodad, thingamabob??) pardon my ingnorance, but I'm not sure what to call it. All I know is that this little part is what keeps you from burning up the motor, should you continue to press the switch once the lock has been actuated. It appears that this thing wears out over time and will not allow enough signal to get through to the motor to make it work. THE FIX. I am cheap. Since I had done so much work up to this point, I decided that I would go a little further and try to make it work without spending the $$. I have better things to spend my money on than actuators. I took a small piece of aluminum foil and wrapped the "thing" voila! Perfectly working motor! I sat there and operated the thing for 10 minutes including one or two times stopping the armature and holding down the switch to see what would happen. The motor builds heat, but not much. Not enough to worry about. Now that I had a good working motor I decided I would try and reassemble the unit. The problem is you cannot glue the unit together as there is a rubber gasket around the perimiter of the case and if you tried to glue the rods into the case, you would not have enough pressure on the two halves of the case to keep the gears in place (these things actually apply a great deal of torque on the case) What I decided to do is completely break off the plastic rods flush with the bottom side of the case and then drill out the bottom case and screw it together. This worked perfectly. You'll need screws that are the same diameter as the holes in the top of the case to keep it from "wandering". Also the screws should not protrude through the back of the unit as some of the mechanism has some pretty close tolerances and a screw sticking through the back would not allow some of the mechanism to work (this can be remedied with a decent set of wire dikes or a hacksaw). I know all of this is hard to picture, but if you do decide to try this fix, you'll see what I am describing here. The locks are back in and working flawlessly.

Good info! Thanks guys!
I don't know if we will attempt to fix them, that's up to him and whether he wants to spend money on new ones or not. If I do decide to tear into one I will try to remember to take pics