EOT sensor

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Curious to know how to tell if this sensor may be bad, other than not working at all?

Was on my way home from the beach yesterday, San Louis Pass, and noticed by EDGE was reading 220* or so, while ECT was 180*, doing about 68mph (around 800* Egt and was a cool 83* outside). I had my oil cooler replaced when I got studded and deleted about 6mos ago, by Diesel Innovations. I have contacted David and asked about this awhile back when I noticed a 25* difference a few times, and he said something about hot exterior air causing higher oil temps. Now I am
not saying anything negative about him or his work, just trying to figure out if it could be something else. I took a min long video while driving and neither were changing then when I turned off the video ECT jumped up pretty quick to about a 30* diff.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be helpful.

Layson

Reaction score
On my 7.3 I waited till it completely cooled down. Turned on the truck with my AE hooked up, read my oil temps. Then I stuck a thermometer down the opening of the reservoir and checked it. I don't know if you can do that on your 6.0... Just throwing it out there.

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
It's located above the cooler and next to the filter. Lousy description, but without a pic i fooked. Just behind the oil filter. sorry.

PSM_Kid

Reaction score
Whether of not an oil cooler was actually installed during repairs, there is still a possibility that the oil cooler is clogged. If the cooling system wasn't properly flushed, or if there is a lot of casting sand/crap in your block some will make it's way to the oil cooler even if you have a coolant filtration set up. You could try a new sensor, they are cheap, but chances are that isn't the issue. Hopefully it works out in your favor.

G Racing

Reaction score
Whether of not an oil cooler was actually installed during repairs, there is still a possibility that the oil cooler is clogged. If the cooling system wasn't properly flushed, or if there is a lot of casting sand/crap in your block some will make it's way to the oil cooler even if you have a coolant filtration set up. You could try a new sensor, they are cheap, but chances are that isn't the issue. Hopefully it works out in your favor.

So you are saying that David didn't install a new cooler? Yes there is a chance that a new cooler could become plugged from junk in the cooling system. Even with my new cooler I see a bit of difference between the eot and ect but mostly when towing. There could be anything wrong but I wouldn't jump out and say david didn't put one in.

PSM_Kid

Reaction score
I guess I will clear it up from a personal experience I've had within the last few months with a truck that was a total problem child for us.

Truck came in for studs, egr block, oil cooler, hoses, reservoir and we flushed the coolant several times due to it being rusted pretty bad and replaced a leaking/cracked radiator 114k miles. Cooling system is holding. Hell it should be, damn near everything is new and flushed.

Guy picks up truck and calls 2,000 miles down the road saying that coolant temp never gets above 200 while oil temp will reach 230-240. He finally gets around to bringing it in at 130k and we warranty the oil cooler even tho it was past the 12k warranty. We honored it because he made us aware of a problem 2,000 miles after the repair. I pulled the oil cooler and it was completely clogged with crap and rust. Even the cooling passage from the front cover, to block and up into the oil cooler was completely clogged. I pulled the water pump and completely cleared the passage. Re assembled and flushed it several times. We put over 100 miles on the truck monitoring eot/ect with IDS before letting it go.

Same truck comes back at 132k miles on a flat bad with chocolate pudding in the coolant reservoir and we have to warranty the cooler again and the radiator as well as hoses. It's been gone now for awihle and the guy has called in saying all is well and it isn't getting hot and the coolant is looking great.

The cooling system was neglected on this vehicle to begin with. Allowing it to push coolant for a long time and not maintaining the coolant with flushes allowed it to get this way. Yes I understand the casting sand/cleaning issues with the 6.0 blocks, but proper maintanence and care would have gone a long way.

So basically what I meant OP is that even if an oil cooler is fresh, doesn't mean that it is going to stay that way. If it's clogged, don't let it go too long and pop. Oasis showed that my truck had an oil cooler put in it under warranty at 108k. I bought it with 139k and there was still oil/sludge stuck to the inside of the reservior. It looked like crap. Even after doing an egr block, flush, replacing the reservior and filling it with Cat ELC it has little black particle crap that has found it's way to the top of the reservior above the coolant line 3k miles later. I have had to drain the coolant since then a couple times when I upgraded the fpr spring/banjo bolts then again when I put the powermax on. Each time the coolant looks awesome but I know that all the crap that was in the system still isn't out. I will be looking into a coolant filtration set up soon and will probably put another reservoir on it if I feel picky enough.

Therefore, if the cooler is clogged don't let it pop. It will wreak havoc on your cooling system.

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
Any truth to the rumors of the Ford Gold actually causing the coolers to get clogged up?
We have drained a few that while the coolant was clean looking had a gelatin like substance in the bottom of the bucket.

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Really appreciate all the input fellas!
Yea David definitely replaced the oil cooler and like stated before do not doubt his work. I not sure and will have to pull out my receipts but i know i have only had a few thousand miles put on the truck since the over haul. I dont drive the truck much except for weekends and going out of town. In the past month i have only put like 500 miles or so on it and i have checked my coolant and haven't seen any thing floating around. i also replace my coolant filter right after getting the truck back from the studs, delete and cooler change.

I will try to replace the oil sensor before this week and test that out first, since i am going on a 5 hour trip to South Texas this weekend. If anyone has a pict of the location i would appreciate it.

Moremph

Reaction score
Our shop truck 655k miles on it is doing the same thing, WE have put coolers in it every 75-100k miles for the past three years, In the past 7 months we have a had to put in 3! Flushed the system everytime, It has only had cat elc and or water in it the last three coolers and it keeps taking them out. Ive had enough we had a long conversation with John out at Bullet Proof. I have one of thier coolers in route.

18k empty 28k loaded. Idles all nigh during the winter, alot of in town driving. 100-120k miles a year on it, It will be the test for sure

Wish me luck lol
Travis

Latest posts

Members online