Mcc tuning questions.

6fodays

Reaction score
Im running and sct with custom tunes right now and was thinking about switching to h&s just for ease of custom tuning/changing tunes.....when you build a custom tune from a canned tune already on the h&s, does it completely rewrite the original tune, or does it create a duplicate and you will have the canned tune and your own custom tune? The reason i ask is because i wouldnt want to mess up my canned tune trying to build a custom tune and never have the canned tune right again....also another question i have is, how many custom tunes can the h&s hold?....another question i have is, can you take a custom tune from say, ********** and build off of that one? Or are they locked since they are already custom?.....and the last question i have is, is the tuning software free? You just have to pay for license to put tunes on your h&s? If you buy custom tunes from a dealer would you have to buy a license for your tuner? Or does the dealer incorporate the license in their price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckrueg

Reaction score
Im running and sct with custom tunes right now and was thinking about switching to h&s just for ease of custom tuning/changing tunes.....when you build a custom tune from a canned tune already on the h&s, does it completely rewrite the original tune, or does it create a duplicate and you will have the canned tune and your own custom tune? The reason i ask is because i wouldnt want to mess up my canned tune trying to build a custom tune and never have the canned tune right again....also another question i have is, how many custom tunes can the h&s hold?....another question i have is, can you take a custom tune from say, ********** and build off of that one? Or are they locked since they are already custom?.....and the last question i have is, is the tuning software free? You just have to pay for license to put tunes on your h&s? If you buy custom tunes from a dealer would you have to buy a license for your tuner? Or does the dealer incorporate the license in their price?

The canned tunes will always stay saved on the SD card unchanged. You can treat the tunes pretty much like any other file, you can copy them, rename, save as a new file, etc. Not sure what the limit is but my sd card has about 200 mb free and each engine tune is 1.9 mb and a trans tune is 1.7 mb. That leaves room for about 100+ total in theory. I know at one point I had 10 engine tunes and 4 trans tunes on the card when I was testing different things. I believe tuners have the option to lock tunes so I would guess anyone selling tunes for profit would not let you modify their tunes but maybe you could talk with one of them about selling you a base tune to build off of. Not really sure but could be worth a shot. The mcc software is free however downloading a tune to your truck requires a one time mcc unlock from h&s which if I remember correctly is 200.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6fodays

Reaction score
The canned tunes will always stay saved on the SD card unchanged. You can treat the tunes pretty much like any other file, you can copy them, rename, save as a new file, etc. Not sure what the limit is but my sd card has about 200 mb free and each engine tune is 1.9 mb and a trans tune is 1.7 mb. That leaves room for about 100+ total in theory. I know at one point I had 10 engine tunes and 4 trans tunes on the card when I was testing different things. I believe tuners have the option to lock tunes so I would guess anyone selling tunes for profit would not let you modify their tunes but maybe you could talk with one of them about selling you a base tune to build off of. Not really sure but could be worth a shot. The mcc software is free however downloading a tune to your truck requires a one time mcc unlock from h&s which if I remember correctly is 200.

So which tuner option is best? Mini maxx? Or srt pro? And the only time ill have to pay for anything after i buy the tuner is when i buy my license to put my own custom tunes on, correct?

ckrueg

Reaction score
So which tuner option is best? Mini maxx? Or srt pro? And the only time ill have to pay for anything after i buy the tuner is when i buy my license to put my own custom tunes on, correct?

Correct. The minimaxx is the best as it has shift on the fly and guages. The xrt is basically just a tune downloader but it is cheaper.

6fodays

Reaction score
Okay one last question...do you have to return the truck to stock or anything to remove tune from tuner to sd card? And if my truck was in say a 250hp tune but i wanted to build my tune off of the 250hp tune will i have to change the tune? Or will it just create a duplicate for the sd card?

sootie

Reaction score
Okay one last question...do you have to return the truck to stock or anything to remove tune from tuner to sd card? And if my truck was in say a 250hp tune but i wanted to build my tune off of the 250hp tune will i have to change the tune? Or will it just create a duplicate for the sd card?

with mcc, you export the base file from your truck to start modifying. or you can take an H&S file and rename it to start modifying that. Basically, any file you want to load to the truck, you put in the CUSTOM folder on the sd card. During the download to the truck, it will ask if you want to load a canned tune or an mcc file. The only cost to you is purchasing the MCC unlock code for your vin. It is a one time fee. When you are tuning, you do not have to go to stock to load the next tune-it just overwrites whatever is in the pcm at that time. Your tunes are always wherever you left them on the card. they dont get modified or moved or overwritten regardless. i hope that helps.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
As it does not display/monitor PID's, it has no way to defuel.

Mini Maxx is clearly superior, but it can be used "like an XRT PRO" on a 6.4. Which is actually a plus. It doesn't have to remain connected to the truck to hold a power level. It will remain on the power level selected if removed from the truck. Unlike a 6.7

Oh I didn't realize that. Does it also have defuels?

ckrueg

Reaction score
As it does not display/monitor PID's, it has no way to defuel.

Mini Maxx is clearly superior, but it can be used "like an XRT PRO" on a 6.4. Which is actually a plus. It doesn't have to remain connected to the truck to hold a power level. It will remain on the power level selected if removed from the truck. Unlike a 6.7
Right, I wasn't thinking when I typed that lol.

ckrueg

Reaction score
that would be a big negatory there, ghostrider
There are tables in the tunes for defuels that you could change if you wanted defuels built in.
e32b982755b97feaca95cbb54ef11aef.jpg

Last edited:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
that can also be built into Mini Maxx tunes as well using MCC. Not an XRT PRO specific feature.

they are not adjustable on the fly using the tuner itself as they are with the Mini Maxx

Latest posts

Members online