noob looking to learn mcc

trugertha

Reaction score
hey guys i need a new hobby, decided id like to learn more about building engine and trans tunes. i dont even know the basics though anywhere i could start. i mainly just dont understand the tables in the mcc program.

ckrueg

Reaction score
hey guys i need a new hobby, decided id like to learn more about building engine and trans tunes. i dont even know the basics though anywhere i could start. i mainly just dont understand the tables in the mcc program.
That's not an easy task lol. I've been researching and testing for about a year now and I am just finally getting to the point where I feel like I know enough to make bigger changes without blowing the truck up. I'm by no means an expert, I just try to get a decent understanding of a table and start with small changes and then test and observe what the changes effected. Also try Google searching efi live forums as they have quite a bit of info about diesel tuning in general. And there is a decent amount a research papers on diesel combustion that gave me some ideas and insight into what to try in my tunes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1stock13

Reaction score
its simple, more fuel, more boost, and more timing all at the some time. What could go wrong?

ckrueg

Reaction score
its simple, more fuel, more boost, and more timing all at the some time. What could go wrong?
Other than a new window in the block I can't think of anything... might smoke too much lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2012dually

Reaction score
Your best bet is to start comparing the H&S tunes to the stock files to see what they have changed. That will give you a good idea of where to start. One thing to keep in mind is their timing tables are ment to work with all their tunes as I dont believe that changes on the fly, just injector duration. Someone correct me if I am wrong! It would sure be nice to know what all the timing configuration modes are! EOM0 is normal driving, the temps are for different engine temps but no clue what the configuration modes are! I have heard EOM3 is also used during normal driving. Is this correct?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
MCC is a great hands-on tuning tool. You can view the differences between tunes and combine that with timing calculation theory, etc. Make little changes here and there, then move up to building entire timing tables.

One great place to start is on the transmission tune. It is amazing the difference in drivability on one truck vs. another with the same exact tune. Differences in weight, gearing, tire size/weight, etc. combine for a very different driving experience between two vastly dissimilar trucks.

But to be able to get the shifting dialed in exactly how you want it and feel like it "should have come from the factory like this" is just the cat's meow, and you don't have to worry about tearing up the engine.

Not that you're going to tear up the engine on a stock-ish 6.7 with a tune unless you just plain TRY to

trugertha

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. I have been learning abit, and have decided to take a course on tuning this summer. It'll help me understand alot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doo dah

Reaction score
Quick question; I may replace my current tuner with a mini maxx and want to know if I need to buy the tuner, pay for the MCC, and then pay for custom tunes? It seems things have changed a bit since I first started this search. I see gear head mentioned and punch it, looks like you pay $300 on top of the MCC code for the tunes? Or you can buy the tuner and MCC then make your own tunes avoiding the additional cost?

Sorry to hijack

sootie

Reaction score
Quick question; I may replace my current tuner with a mini maxx and want to know if I need to buy the tuner, pay for the MCC, and then pay for custom tunes? It seems things have changed a bit since I first started this search. I see gear head mentioned and punch it, looks like you pay $300 on top of the MCC code for the tunes? Or you can buy the tuner and MCC then make your own tunes avoiding the additional cost?

Sorry to hijack

if you buy a mini maxx, you will need the MCC unlock as well. Once you have that, you can create your own tunes for free or purchase custom tunes. either way you still need the MCC unlock.

Latest posts

Members online