Prospective Trailer Buying Info

Krause

Reaction score
Alright guys,

Hoping to get a thread rolling with a collection of information about trailers, configurations, brands, axles, etc etc.. for the average guy looking to buy a trailer. Im about to purchase a bumper pull car hauler generally for a 64 nova, but would like it to be able to load a diesel truck if need be, which eliminates the 7000#'s, and at least puts it at the 10000 GVWR range. Here are some points I have researched so far.

-Its been discussed before, but any more than 10000 GVWR trailer and you need a CDL to drive with it, even unloaded! That said, it seems advanced inspection centers are able to "de-rate" trailers; you can purchase a 14000# trailer (8 lug axles) and have them rate it at 9990 if you want. I havnt confirmed this yet, but have seen a couple examples of it on lots. This will allow you to have a heavy duty trailer and not a CDL, obviously dont get caught with more than 10000 even though its capable...

-Dexter axles are the Cats Meow it seems. Alko axles are not so good, anyone with experience on this? Are dexters worth extra money to upgrade to?

-There is the brand can of worms: PJ's are generally reviewed well. Apparently the "J" of PJ split off sometime ago and started Load Trail/Max, which also seem to be generally reviewed well. I'm currently looking at some Load Trail and some Sure Trac Trailers.

-PJ, Sure Trac, and a handful of others are powder coating now. Some have complained the powercoat peels easily. Feel free to comment on quality of paint finish no matter the type. Assuming you are purchasing a capable trailer, it's potentially the most important feature to consider/most time consuming to make right..

-Pintle or Ball coupler??

Share your experiences on anything trailers, what brand you bought and why specifically. What you like about it and what you like about the next one. Or, what you dont like about it.

Krause

Reaction score
To start, I am liking the dual function ramps that fold back over flush with the deck, as seen here .

Beaver%20Tail%20with%20Ramps_zpsvjvnomor.png

Seems pretty slick to me, concerned about not having enough length to make a nice approach angle though. Wont have the car at the trailer place to test it out :(.

sootie

Reaction score
you will never ever get the car over that angle with those ramps.

04stroker

Reaction score
Obviously if you had the tilt deck and removable fenders that would be best to be able to load a car easier and still get out of it. I do not know who offers that combo been awhile since I have looked around but I am sure someone does.

scparrish

Reaction score
that trailer in the picture would get the job done, though I prefer the steel deck over the wood deck. A simple dove tail trailer will get the job done and pretty much anything that isn't slammed will clear fine. If a corvette can clear so can a nova.

sootie

Reaction score
that trailer in the picture would get the job done, though I prefer the steel deck over the wood deck. A simple dove tail trailer will get the job done and pretty much anything that isn't slammed will clear fine. If a corvette can clear so can a nova.

i guess we can agree to disagree. How long are your ramps plus beavertail that the corvette clears? deck height?

FaSSt9602

Reaction score

That dovetail looks awfully short (I think mine is a 3'), and those ramps are super short. My pullout ramps are 5' long and when I load my lowered (not slammed) SS, I have to run 2x8's under the ramps to flatten that out. I can load it without the 2x8's, but it smashes the lower air dam until the front wheels hit the ramps.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
You think so?? DOT is gonna dig into axle ratings over ispected stamped rating on the trailer?

They did where I used to work. By the time they were done it ended up being a $3000 dollar ticket once they added improperly secured load (needed 1 more binder) and whatever they called the few tiny pieces of dried dirt that fell off the T300. Owner had to go out and drive the truck to the job, then go back out that afternoon to drive it back. Around here they've been known to crawl underneath trucks and trailers.

scparrish

Reaction score
Maybe it's just my perception of the picture. That dove tail looks fairly low, but again that is just my perception.

Mine is about the same as fasst9602's it sounds like but slightly lower deck height as I haven't had to use something as large as a 4x8, maybe a 2x4.

Krause

Reaction score
They did where I used to work. By the time they were done it ended up being a $3000 dollar ticket once they added improperly secured load (needed 1 more binder) and whatever they called the few tiny pieces of dried dirt that fell off the T300. Owner had to go out and drive the truck to the job, then go back out that afternoon to drive it back. Around here they've been known to crawl underneath trucks and trailers.

YiKeS! Next thing they will be ticketing me for putting heavier duty 06 axles under my truck with a GVW still under what the axles say...

Car is a lowered 64, its not slammed but its fairly low. Those ramps are no doubt shorter than the average setup, it was a concern of mine to begin with. May have to do a different setup, tilts are expensive..

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Maybe it's just my perception of the picture. That dove tail looks fairly low, but again that is just my perception.

Mine is about the same as fasst9602's it sounds like but slightly lower deck height as I haven't had to use something as large as a 4x8, maybe a 2x4.

I use 2x8's. More surface area for the ramp to sit on, otherwise they tend to rock a bit on 2x4's.

pullinweight

Reaction score
You've got a 6' ramp with that set up, top of deck will be 24-26". W 5000lb axles. Should be able to figure out clearance issues w that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dangerous1

Reaction score
You can have it "de rated". But DOT is gonna look at the axle ratings and go off that
They can write all the tickets they want but they won't hold up in court. Law goes by GVWR and live weight. Not by GAWR. Just because someone is a cop doesn't mean they can rewrite the law.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Twan

Reaction score
If your doing it for personal use, not being paid you can pull what ever trailer you want. For now in most all states. Few get kinda mad lol. Just be nice gets you away with more.

For flat bed bumper pulls I've always liked my custom tilt beds best.

Latest posts

Members online