ccv catch can mod

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Been thinking of putting a catchcan on my truck but keeping it a close loop system... I'm not sure if the vacuum that's created by the intake makes that big of a difference or not... Thinking of making a catchcan with a series of baffles I see where some guys on the net have used stainless steel wool to filter the air.. this seems like a bad idea and it may migrate to your intake..... Any info helps guys.... Thanks

Dzchey21

Reaction score
alot of engines use some sort of steel mesh more or less to keep splash oil from comming out of the vent, sorta like a baffle, i have no idea where you might find something like that, but ill look for you tomorrow on some engines at work and see if anything can be adapted. I know 5.9 liter perkins engines use a kinda clever catch can, with a filter, and a closed loop, maybe thats affordable, and adaptable.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I built one for my 7.3 that sits behind the transfer case and uses a 1 inch hose too and from the top of the unit. I constructed mine out of 4" pvc for proof of concept before I get more serious.

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys... I have heard of company's using a "air oil separator" before I think subaru uses a clever one... I think just on the wrx tho... The vacuum the turbo pulls on the crank shaft is pretty significant I think... I have heard the 6.4 already has problems with diesel entering the oil... My fear of just venting the ccv is losing that vacuum and having more diesel blow by into the crank... As far as the pvc goes... Did you ever see melting from this.... If you routed it by your transfer case it may not of gotten quite as hott....

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
I built a one out of 6' abs. A 1 nipple runs from the top to about an 1' 1/2 from the bottom. I put one steel wool pad on the bottom and fluffed it up so it would kinda catch the air/oil getting blown out and not just blow on what ever was collecting at the bottom. And then 2 baffles and some copper mesh w/ a 1' outlet on the side about an inch from the top. Ill snap some pictures of it when I get home. Time to check it out been about 500 miles since I made it and put it on. And just to let you know in advance its still in it's testing phase, meaning its ugly.

Fat fingered from the phone-Corey

Last edited:

oneturboforme

Reaction score
I built a one out of 6' abs. A 1 nipple runs from the top to about an 1' 1/2 from the bottom. I put one steel wool pad on the bottom and fluffed it up so it would kinda catch the air/oil getting blown out and not just blow on what ever was collecting at the bottom. And then 2 baffles and some copper mesh w/ a 1' outlet on the side about an inch from the top. Ill snap some pictures of it when I get home. Time to check it out been about 500 miles since I made it and put it on. And just to let you know in advance its still in it's testing phase, meaning its ugly.

That would be awesome thanks

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
So this is it. Nothing special quite ugly actually. Used some thick steel wool and I put it on the bottom. Two pieces or aluminum plate that slide in and rest on an angle opposing sides and overlaying with about 2 inches between. And some of the thick copper meshing at the top. And the white stuff in with the oil is just a pipe sealant I put on the threads.

62958a12-9e34-1ab6.jpg
62958a12-9e47-d4a0.jpg
62958a12-9e5b-b2c6.jpg

Tonka350

Reaction score
who is the company that makes the really nice looking catch can? I have the CCV mod but I want the can underneath the truck so nothing gets filthy

Chad

Spatel23

Reaction score
Im not sure Ive heard of a site sponsor (Im assuming thats what you meant) that makes a catch can. Ive got a BD can on mine and its clean/simple.

Latest posts

Members online