Gcwr question.

Downey

Reaction score
So I see all these guys towing really big trailers and saying that they weight 18-25k. How are these guys legally towing these trailers? Most of them are towing with a srw 350. From what I understand my 05 has a max gcwr of 23500 lbs. so if these guys are towing a 20k trailer with a 7500 lb truck that puts u at 27500 lbs. how is this legal?

Correct me if I'm wrong

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
1- the newer trucks have a much higher rating, hell a new 250 has a gvwr of 10k. The older 350s are at 9700-10500 for a dually if i remember right.

2- its only illegal if youbget caught. It may not be smart, but if you stay under the radar, who is gonna know?

Downey

Reaction score
The newer srw trucks have the same 23500 gcwr. Once u go to a drw the weights goes up.
Drw with 3.73 is 32100
Drw with 4.30 is 35000

PDT1081

Reaction score
So I see all these guys towing really big trailers and saying that they weight 18-25k. How are these guys legally towing these trailers? Most of them are towing with a srw 350. From what I understand my 05 has a max gcwr of 23500 lbs. so if these guys are towing a 20k trailer with a 7500 lb truck that puts u at 27500 lbs. how is this legal?

Correct me if I'm wrong
It's only "legal" because they haven't come across the "prick" DOT officer having a bad day.

Jomax

Reaction score
And make sure your truck doesn't look like a work truck. #1 reason I hate white trucks. They just scream construction truck while towing a load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emery19

Reaction score
haha his truck is white. dont give him any other reason to try to get my truck LOL

Him and i were talking about it the other day, i think a lot of the back roads around where he lives he'd be fine, but there are some routes i'd be concerned about.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
anything over 26k needs to have cdl w/log. it goes by whats on your door and trailer combined weight possible not what you actually weigh.

if under 26k and using it for commercial purposes your still only allowed 12 hours per day work wise, and no more then 70 in a 7 day work week (double check days vs hours)
also your supposed to be enrolled in a drug/alky program with random drug testing if over 26k

there are also some variations depending if you do it for your own business or hauling for someone else, how far you can go as far as air miles etc etc.
if over 12k your suppose to carry a medical card

also your "techinically" suppose to stop at all scales if over 10k

if your hauling vehicles you need a mc190 form with your insurance

most likely you will get caught eventually, were a bit biased and bitter considering all of these sister fisting half ass operations run beat up shoddy equipment up and down the highway and hardly ever get pulled and when they do they play the "i didnt know" card. everything I own is top notch at all times & we have been hammered by PA, DE & MD, they straight up told us if they want to find something they can at any time. also if you do get caught over 26k towing capacity they will park you and make someone with a valid cdl come take the truck and trailer for you, or tow you. Or make you unhook and have someone else come pick it up, assuming you have a medical card.

everything above is all facts, thanks to our DOT audit we had the other year, clearly the audit was not by choice and they acted like total pricks. But at the end of the day its easier to comply then try to weasel your way around it.