7.3 Glow plugs

Reaction score
Need some new glow plugs before it starts getting cold. What are best ones to get? Suggestions please.
Motorcraft?
Bosh?
Autolites?
Or are there better ones out there? It seems like every 2 years I need new ones. Ive herd the 7.3 are notorious for glow plugs, is this true?
Thanks boys and of course the few women out there:thumbup:

Austin

Reaction score
Spent some time on the phone with Marty, he said out of the 400 or so GPs that he has changed and tested, he has only seen a handful that were actually bad..

Are you sure it's not a relay issue you are having?

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
iv not heard of any issues with them. alot of other things can look like bad glow plugs to tho. have u checked relay and uvc gp harness? iv heard motorcraft is the best thats what i used.

Reaction score
Spent some time on the phone with Marty, he said out of the 400 or so GPs that he has changed and tested, he has only seen a handful that were actually bad..

Are you sure it's not a relay issue you are having?[/QUOT

Pretty positive its not a relay issue. Ive bought 2 new ones and installed both just to make sure that was not my problem and ran a test on the relays both were good, I know its gotta be my glow plugs becasue the second I plug my block heater in it fires right up. Unless Im having compression issues like one of my friends asked but I dont think so.
If I dont plug it in, it will just turn and turn but not fire and white smoke will draw out of my exhaust. If its warm enough after a couple turns it will eventually fire.:shrug:

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Autolites are known for expanding then they wont come out. So most say to stick with the Motorcraft. I just order a relay and glowplugs from Paul at Complete Performance. There is a way to test the glowplugs with a multimeter and ohm them out to see if they are really bad.

cj45lc

Reaction score
Autolites are known for expanding then they wont come out. So most say to stick with the Motorcraft. I just order a relay and glowplugs from Paul at Complete Performance. There is a way to test the glowplugs with a multimeter and ohm them out to see if they are really bad.

there you go, if you need the GP's or relay
hard to beat Paul's service, great outfit

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Generally you can take a wire brush to the tip of the glow plug and get all the build up off it, make sure youve got a good relay and re install them.

As someone stated before, and as i told you the other day.... they dont go bad very often. Most people just think they've gone bad

freddie

Reaction score
Definitely check the GP resistances before replacing them. I thought my truck needed GP's. I ordered a Stancor, installed it, and didn't have a problem after that. The Stancor was money well spent, I even took orders from fellow 7.3L owners that I knew, for the Stancor relays.

Reaction score
that could still be the under valve cover harness. are the connectors in good shape?

Great shape just replaced those 2 years ago with the glow plugs unless they go bad that fast the valve cover harness, and before I started learning about forums like PSA and stuff I went striktly through ford....can you say BEND OVER!!!! :fustrate:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.