powersteering pump is being a whiney beech

Pstroke96

Reaction score
is it trying to tell me its on its way out or does it just need some fresh fluid? also what is the best way to get it out? or atleast alot of it i didnt think there was a drain plug on it but ive been wrong before.
thanks guys

ytee

Reaction score
I would try putting some fresh fluid in it. I would try to find the fluid that says it helps stop squeals. You can take the return line loose and let the fluid pump out or suck out the reservoir, refill, cycle the steering a few times and repeat. Probably would get more out by taking the return line loose.

Chris

TyCorr

Reaction score
I would try putting some fresh fluid in it. I would try to find the fluid that says it helps stop squeals. You can take the return line loose and let the fluid pump out or suck out the reservoir, refill, cycle the steering a few times and repeat. Probably would get more out by taking the return line loose.

Chris

You could take this a step further and put a clean bucket of fluid to the return side and let the discharge side into another bucket. When clean **** starts coming out, shut off the truck and hook the lines back up. Done and done!

oneton

Reaction score
i just changed the fluid in my truck.i used valvoline max-life atf.made a big difference,in driving the truck.

i used a air ratchet.just keep filling up pump and pumping till clean fluid comes out,about half a gallon come out till clean fluid

JD3020

Reaction score
Hmm, i need to try this. My '90 is always whiny, and my 7.3 is occasionally. Although they leak enough fluid that i don't need to drain it. LOL

Pstroke96

Reaction score
that sounds easy enough so just pop off the belt and the return line and spin it with an air ratchet until i get clean fluid out of it? occasionally it makes a grumbling noise when i turn the wheel but it works just as it should whether its making noise or not

smorris

Reaction score
I used mobil synthetic and it quieted right down. Less noise than when it was new I believe. Who woulda thought....

Pstroke96

Reaction score
how much does the system hold? would it be worth it to buy some cheap stuff to flush it out with then fill it with the good stuff?

oneton

Reaction score
that sounds easy enough so just pop off the belt and the return line and spin it with an air ratchet until i get clean fluid out of it? occasionally it makes a grumbling noise when i turn the wheel but it works just as it should whether its making noise or not

yep,take off belt,connect some hose,spin,fill,spin,fill,etc

mine was making noise's similar to yours,changed fluid now works great.like new again

Latest posts

Members online