Vehicle inspections in Texas

shmoozer

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to move down to Texas from Colorado for a couple of years while working on a new wind farm going in.
I'll be up around the Lubbock area and am wondering what all I'm going to have to get "fixed" or in working order before trying to register.
The truck in question is an '04 ECSB. It's lifted 4" with 35x12.50x20 and is tuned and d-elete-d. I've got a 4" straight pipe on it currently so I assume I'll need to get a cat and a muffler put on. What else should I do? Thanks for the input fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
Diesel is visual inspection only. Safety inspection. Tires in good shape, all the lights work, and the brakes work.

If they look, they might say something about a muffler, usually they don't even look.

patricku47

Reaction score
The only thing I have ever had an issue with in the Houston area has been my lack of muffler, but plenty of shops will overlook that. Depending on what your window tint is, they may say something about that. I believe legal limit is now 25% on the front two, and no limit on the rears.

shmoozer

Reaction score
What about E G R? Will they look that far? Probably have an exhaust shop flange a muffler and cat for me so that I use or remove them as I please.

shmoozer

Reaction score
Sweet! Makes life just that much easier. There are a lot of members from TX it seems. I'm looking forward to finally meeting some of you

dmd

Reaction score
If it has good lights, windows, tires, brakes, & wipers it is just a inspection sticker. I think
it is $7 or something small like that.

They never have open my hood or used a OBD connection.

JMart

Reaction score
I had one guy look under my 6.0 when I had it. Never had one look under my 7.3 or 6.4. The guy looking under the 6.0 was checking to see where the exhaust exited since it wasn't coming out the rear. All those trucks had whatever could be removed, gone. No mufflers on any of them either.

rosspulliam

Reaction score
Cat and that other thing are not required here. We do not emissions test diesels, only safety.

Actually I believe they are required here. However they do not smog test diesels prior to the 2011 or 2012 model year (I forget which). They do a visual inspection which can include any system on the truck (EGR, Muffler, Cat, etc) however most shops don't care and don't do a thorough visual inspection. I offer this list from one of the inspection shops I used to go to when I got sick and tired of getting failed for windshield wipers. They could not provide me an "official" checklist so this was just the inspection guy rattling off to me what he checks while I wrote it down.

2/32" Tread Depth (wear bars):
Wipers not torn more than 1" cumulative per wiper:
Tag lights working:
Low Beam Headlights working:
High Beam Headlights working:
Reverse Lights working:
Blue High Beam Indicator working:
Parking brake holds vehicle idle in gear:
Brake Pedal not less than 1" to floor:
Windshield cannot be damaged obstructing view:
Horn must work:
Check engine light must not be on, but must work (light up during POST:
Window Tint must be legal standard:
No power steering leaks:
Seat belts must latch:
Seats securely mounted:
Brake fluid has to be above minimum level:
Brake fluid must not be leaking:

Last edited:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
zero smog for any diesel.

safety/visual only

fed requires all emissions equipment to be in place

plenty of inspectors go by the "safety only" rule and will let anything fly as long as it passes safety

YMMV

shmoozer

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info guys. I'm going T4 so ill prob throw a muffler on to kill some of the drone. May find a cat that I can have flanged and bolt in...just in case lol. Other than that I think I'll be good to go!

JMart

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info guys. I'm going T4 so ill prob throw a muffler on to kill some of the drone. May find a cat that I can have flanged and bolt in...just in case lol. Other than that I think I'll be good to go!

To bad you won't be near Dallas. I have a 6.0 cat that I have no use for. About to scrap it when I move.

shmoozer

Reaction score
Bummer! By the sounds of it I shouldn't need it. Thanks for the offer!

03_PSD

Reaction score
I'm in Central Texas, Salado to be exact and they require us to have everything that came on the truck cat, muffler and egr. I haven't been lucky enough to find a shop that overlooks these.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.