Mis at idle along with surge

F350

Reaction score
So I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I don't know if it is a problem yet or not. My truck has had a wierd mis at idle since I purchased it it will idle around 600-700 then it will mis and shake the truck acts like it wants to die but only lasts a second it is pretty similar to when I had my cummins and it would go through the battery voltage on start up. One day it was really bad and I could actually watch the rpm move while it was in park just a couple 100 rpm up and down up and down and then it went away. I took it to ford and they could never figure it out so I did what most would do and just got rid of all the emissions thinking that had something to do with it and unfortunately it is back. Today it was really interesting i was on cruise at about 2000rpm going about 80mph and the truck would act like it would just slightly surge like u just barely tapped the throttle I have read some posts about the surging once EGR is deleted but never when it is in contact. I'm at a loss with it. My mileage is always the same the truck dynoed great an the only mods I have are 250 tune and exhaust. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

F350

Reaction score
Forgot to mention truck has about 24k on it and the temps eot, ect, EGt and boost seemed normal it's also a 2010. Thanks

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
crazy... maybe you could get a video of it, or run and IDS while it happens.

F350

Reaction score
Its towards the end, dont mind my 3 year old sleeping/snoring and my 5 month old daughter getting cranky towards the end. LOL

if you blink youll miss it happens every 30 seconds or so

Attachments

• rpm.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 40

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
your video wouldnt play for me but... if its a hiccup every 30 seconds, with a tune on it... mine has done that forever.

F350

Reaction score
just a little worrisome especially when im away from home with the kids and wife but like i said it hasnt done anything YET and its been doing it since stock so idk what to think really so who knows Ill try reposting it to see if it helps from my office computer tomorrow.

I also only have edge cts so i cant monitor everything i would like to, but that will be irradicated by the end of the week with a new monitor system

Shipmate

Reaction score
I have the same thing happening with mine. At idle I think it is the AC compressor cycling on and off. Try and see if you turn off your AC will it do the same thing. Mine does not, it just acts like that when the ac clutch is cycling on and off.

F350

Reaction score
Have you ever done or have your fuel filters done?

Yes I just had them changed actually about a week or so ago and I drain my seperator every now and then maybe I should just let it drain for an hour or so, everytime i do it it just trickles for what seems like forever so i end up closing it after about 30 min this is with the key off. Am I missing something on that?

I have the same thing happening with mine. At idle I think it is the AC compressor cycling on and off. Try and see if you turn off your AC will it do the same thing. Mine does not, it just acts like that when the ac clutch is cycling on and off.

having the same thoughts as you I also tried this but it does it either way. :wtf:

F350

Reaction score
Yeah it's hard to see it's right towards the end like I said blink and miss it. Seems like it's a common thing but who knows

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I do see a small movement, if that is all it is I wouldn't worry about it. Mine may do the same, but that small of a variation I would never feel it. I have never felt anything while driving and or noticed anything like what you have mentioned.

BFT

Reaction score
Yes I just had them changed actually about a week or so ago and I drain my seperator every now and then maybe I should just let it drain for an hour or so, everytime i do it it just trickles for what seems like forever so i end up closing it after about 30 min this is with the key off. Am I missing something on that?

i was just thinking that there might still be air in the system? maybe they forgot the o-ring or using the same one?
its just a shot in the dark

RoadWarrior

Reaction score
i was just thinking that there might still be air in the system? maybe they forgot the o-ring or using the same one?
its just a shot in the dark

:whs: I know that the seal on the secondary fuel filter in the frame can sometimes cause a problem with small amounts of air slipping past. But by the looks in your video it seems to be fine.

F350

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys I'm going to pretty much drive the same 100-125 mile trip this weekend so I will see if it surges at cruise again I'm not so much worried about idle after all the responses, I appreciate the help I also filled my tank with diesel from a different place this go around and haven't seen the "idle" surge don't know if that is a coincidence but time will tell the big problem with filling up with different fuel is I have probably spent at least 8-10k in fuel at the same place over the last two years and those folks are clients of mine so i would hate to burn the bridge but I wanted to see if different fuel might help but it's hard to get away from bad fuel in my area because we have limited stations/refineries that use the same fuel.