Auxiliary transfer tank

valvetick

Reaction score
Just ordered a RDS 91 gallon transfer fuel tank and gravity feed kit. Is anyone running a gravity feed set up? I know the pump would be the better route but thought I would try this set up first.

Towing the toy hauler I currently only get about 220 miles per tank since my short bed has a smaller tank. I would like the ability to fill up before leaving and only stop to sleep and bathroom breaks.

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200352920_200352920?hotline=false

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200315501_200315501?hotline=false

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psduser1

Reaction score
Mine is gravity feed, with a solenoid valve and switch tied to the stock fuel circuit.
Half inch tubing is all I used, and it takes about 20-45 minutes to refill the stock 29 gallon tank, depending on head pressure.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Mine is gravity right to the vent tube, works great not having to pump ~600L+ in fuel, 2500km round trips, wouldn't have to stop if I wasn't addicted to coffee for the road.

valvetick

Reaction score
That's what I was hoping to hear! The gravity feed kit I ordered goes to the main fill tube I was planning on just running into a T on the vent line but decided to try the kit first.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
I thought about the kit but didn't want to wait, went to two stores in town and got the supplies for 1/2 the price of the kit landed and never looked back. I did have issues with too much hose and no siphon effect with the filter I used being too low, that would be solved by no filter and direct route or I raised the filter up higher than the tank and everything was solved. Makes for a little more fun during filter changes but that's life.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
3/8" is enough. It will supply more than the truck uses while towing. Send the kit back and run it to the vent tube. It will be much less. First couple tanks run it through a filter to catch anything left behind. You need (In order of installation) a 3/8" NPT 90, 3/8" valve, 3/8"NPT X 3/8" barb fitting, 3/8" hose, 3/8" barb X 1/2" NPT fitting, 1/2" tee with (2) 1/2" NPT X 1/2" barb fittings. Cut the vent line and install. Much easier than the main fill up tube. I have installed 3 in the main tube and one into the vent. The rest will be in the vent.

valvetick

Reaction score
3/8" is enough. It will supply more than the truck uses while towing. Send the kit back and run it to the vent tube. It will be much less. First couple tanks run it through a filter to catch anything left behind. You need (In order of installation) a 3/8" NPT 90, 3/8" valve, 3/8"NPT X 3/8" barb fitting, 3/8" hose, 3/8" barb X 1/2" NPT fitting, 1/2" tee with (2) 1/2" NPT X 1/2" barb fittings. Cut the vent line and install. Much easier than the main fill up tube. I have installed 3 in the main tube and one into the vent. The rest will be in the vent.

This is perfect thanks I was looking under the truck yesterday and was trying to figure out why the kit would go to the fill tube rather then the vent, vent looked easier to access. The tank was direct shipped from the manufacturer so it will be at least a week before it arrives and I can throw it in.

Latest posts

Members online