Gaining oil!?!?!?

a_moore

Reaction score
I started changing my own oil already, got impatient with dealer. Good thing.

I have been changing it at 5-6K mile intervals.

When I drain the oil it will be within 1'' of the top of a 5 gallon bucket. I am only putting like 15 quarts in at change.

It has to be fuel, there is no sign of water or foaming. Oil does smell like fuel, but not much diff than normal.

So you tell me, how do you put in less than 4 gallons and get 5 back?

Any help is appreciated, I still have 12K miles of warranty left.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Fuel for sure.

Funny thing is I remember being at PDR one day and overherd the tech on the phone with Ford. I believe they consider a certain amount of fuel in the crankcase "normal". He couldnt believe it, nor could I or any decent mechanic I have told this story.

Gearhead

Reaction score
if you aren't regen-ing then there shouldn't be any more fuel in the oil than a normal diesel. the damn regen cycle washes everything down with fuel since it is putting it in the cylinder during the exhaust stroke.

a_moore

Reaction score
A dealer or oil change place would never catch this....they drain into a bulk tank. My hillbilly ass drains into a 5 gallon bucket.

The addition of an entire gallon seems concerning to me. With only 10K more warranty miles I need to make mention of it to the dealer. Knowing my luck it will spin a bearing at 100,000.1

a_moore

Reaction score
Can anyone familiar with the 6.4 tell me how fuel can get in the oil?

I know it is fuel, that is a given. Now tell me how/where they can be mixed. I am not familiarized with this engine as of yet.

Fuel Cooler?
Heads?
Bad rings?
Hanging inj?
Hole in Piston?

There is as much blow-by as my 300K+ mile 7.3....which ran at 500+rwhp for 100K miles.

Any help is appreciated.

a_moore

Reaction score
A dealer or oil change place would never catch this....they drain into a bulk tank. My hillbilly ass drains into a 5 gallon bucket.

The addition of an entire gallon seems concerning to me. With only 10K more warranty miles I need to make mention of it to the dealer. Knowing my luck it will spin a bearing at 100,000.1

Blown engine at 91,000. I got lucky I guess.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Its from the regen process, mine did it to before I did the delete and they all do it before the delete. When the extra fuel is shot into the cylinder what doesn't get pushed out past the exhaust valves to the dpf for regen leaks past the rings into the crank case.

a_moore

Reaction score
Its from the regen process, mine did it to before I did the delete and they all do it before the delete. When the extra fuel is shot into the cylinder what doesn't get pushed out past the exhaust valves to the dpf for regen leaks past the rings into the crank case.

As much as mine was in regen, its a wonder it was not overflowing with oil. Ever since 30K miles it would regen 3-5 times per tank of fuel. Towing it was about twice that.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
They can only be cleaned so many times before they have to be replaced, also the more often the clog the less time till the next regen.

a_moore

Reaction score
I'd rather it do it at 91 instead of 101...warranty ftmfw

I never got the new flash done, I hope that my warranty will not be void'd....I can not find the letter to see what the date was! :doh:

I looked my vin up on ford recall and nothing showed up due for my truck.

Latest posts

Members online