Question about trailer tires

RSK

Reaction score
Does anyone on here know if there is any laws or anything against me upgrading the tires on my dump trailer to a 12-14 ply tire? So they last longer and have a stiffer sidewall, i'm not trying to overload it more, but when it has 4 tons of mulch in it, the sidewall bulges a little and the tires are at their max psi and don't leak, i just don't want to draw anymore attention to myself going down the rd. There are times when it's probably over loaded by 1000-2000lbs not intentionally but i figure if i have 12-14 ply tires they won't flex and it will look normal going down the road dot won't pull out or pull me over if everything looks good.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
nope there is nothing against going overboard on the tires. DOT just cares about the sticker and the actual weight... if they evencare

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Over the years I've had nothing but trouble with trailer tires. When I can, I always buy the appropriate truck tire for the trailers. Trailer tires are always so cheaply put together and end up coming apart, and even the cheapest truck tires rarely have the same trouble from what I have found. I usually get whatever looks the most "highway" at a reasonable price in an E range tire. They just have less trouble then trailer tires. At least for me, and my local friends I have converted to that train of thought.

RSK

Reaction score
Interesting, i get about 2-3 years out of a set of trailer tires on my landscape trailer which is only hauling a mower and some other stuff, so maybe 35-4000lbs between the 18' trailer and mower and other stuff, and even the dump trailer loaded heavy i still get 3yrs out of a set of tires, i still have the original front axle tires on it, but i'd like to go to something more hd, both trailers see very little highway and are always inflated to the propert psi, so no blowouts.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I second that trailer tires suck. I put adapters on my camper to run factory superduty wheels and tires, and then my flatbed has 265-75-16 truck tires on it.

dangerous1

Reaction score
Gladiator tires for the win. Make sure you get the ones with steel belts. Run them at 125 psi

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

RSK

Reaction score
Not a problem upgrading at all, in fact my dump trailer came new with 14 ply

Mines only a 14k gvw kinda light duty really. So it only has 10ply tires i think, which i still have the original front tires on it so they wear fine, i just want a stiffer sidewall so the trailer doesn't look so loaded when it has almost 10k of material in it

Latest posts

Members online