Towing question

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Just wondering how much I can push the truck towing now that the head studs are done. I have been towing with the Spartan 250 and being kinda easy on it since the studs were done. Would like to go to the 275 mainly because of the low end power and its the tune I am DD. It would save me switching tunes when I need to tow.

Trailer should be a little lighter this weekend. Right around 12k. Temps have never even been close to an issue. Some good size hills in PA. 600 mile trips. Would leave me sitting at 45-48psi boost for minutes at a time. Same thing I was doing it the past, even towing 16k on the Spartan 300 for the same trip. Only I did wipe out the head gaskets doing so.

Driving within reason. Not pulling hills with my foot to the floor. 3/4 throttle with the TQ locked gets me into the 45-48 psi boost range.

Just wondering if the boost is a non issue with head studs or if I would still be pushing my luck. If thats the case I will tune down.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking. Temps have never been an issue. water/ oil 194-205, trans around 180, I back out around 1200 egt which I only saw before the spearco on 90*+ days. I drive big rigs at work. I am use to watching my gauges like I watch my mirrors.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Its very very hard to control bucking with touchy throttle and light loads or trailers not loaded properly especially the tunes around 275 and up

BFT

Reaction score
I layed out 52* on the 275 when I did the water injection for DP mag (1/2 throttle with 10k on a grade) before I blew the stock boot off.

You should be able to pull more then 12k, EASY. I've pulled between 15-16k off the hitch on the 210TP

Dustball8504

Reaction score
Every time mine has ever bucked its because my foot bounced lol. Does yours buck with the cruise on?

It bucks right at 45mph just on normal acceleration. I tried it numerous times. Luckily it was only a couple miles I had to tow so I just kept it under 45 lol

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Every time mine has ever bucked its because my foot bounced lol. Does yours buck with the cruise on?

Usually that is what happens you hit a small bump and it causes a slight bump in your foot that causes a chain reaction or....

It bucks right at 45mph just on normal acceleration. I tried it numerous times. Luckily it was only a couple miles I had to tow so I just kept it under 45 lol

it happens right when the convertor locks.. You can either let off, give it more pedal, or use your cruise control in both situations. I dont like using my cruise control because it seems very aggressive as far as using it to speed up

eastern

Reaction score
I have towed with the 250 275 and now the 310. The throttle respone is what give the bucking in my truck I am either on the pedal or off and watching gauges most of the time. NOTE:310 did my gaskets in. At least I made it through the summer with alot of tows.Time for some shop time.Man my wife is going to be pissed when she gets the credit card bills. LMAO

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Not worried about the weight at all. I have pulled some fairly stupid loads. My only concern was high boost for extended periods of time. There is one hill 81N in PA that I am 3/4 throttle 45+psi for a good 5 minutes if I'm holding 65-70mph. Normally big rigs are rolling about 35 mph. The truck pulls it like its not even working hard. That is what I mean by pushing it. Sure I can slow down, but who really wants to do that...

BTW. This would be the load.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt94/Ipkyss/08 Ford F-250/IMAG1225.jpg

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I tow off of the temps. I tow heavy on a lower tune and only get bucking at around 35, when my TC locks and I try to hold that speed.'On the tune I tow on I hold 41 or so for longer than that so I think you are fine. Just watch the temps. The hills I climb with my trailer I can reach 1250-1300 if my foots in it.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
The reason behind me towing with bigger tunes is I try to keep it in overdrive the whole time. It keeps all the temps nice and low. I can't stand pulling hills at 3,000 rpms. My truck ran 20+ degrees hotter when it was stock then it does not. I was seeing 230 degrees bone stock. Now it never goes over 205. I will be the first person to tell you temps are not everything. The trip I smoked the head gaskets the truck never went over 205 and 1200 egt.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
It is usually a mixture of temps along with boost. The higher sustained EGT's will weakin the metal (head studs etc.) combined with the cylinder pressure and boost will usually overcome the strength of the metal. The studs may have a strong tensile and yeild strength, but at what temp?

BFT

Reaction score
Getting stuck behind one of those rigs at that MPH with a big tune will suck, trust me. I'm used to having to go 55-60 because of California. Spending the 10-15 min to change the tune will be worth it in the end.

Latest posts

Members online