Hard start

bad moose

Reaction score
I am posting for a friend, so I have not witnessed these events.

2005 bone stock 168k. 2wd dually.

First of all FICM voltage is at 48 volts across the board.

Owner is complaining of long cold starts and when it does start it hits on 3 cylinders and chugs up to 8 cylinder as it warms up.

After checking voltage and cleaning airfilter it seemed to help the starting.

Poor fuel milage 6 with trailer loaded and 12 with no trailer.

Low on power.

Running Rotella is going to change to Valvoline 5w40 and correct filters.

Have not pulled codes yet, and only have an sct to pull codes with. Yes I know not the best to do it with but all I have.

Stcok exhaust, can hear light air rushing sound.

What's your thoughts?

Dalpilot

Reaction score
Stiction issue. Does it get better when it warms up? If so add two bottles of Rev-x and it will take care of the problem. Dont take my advice I sell it. Just do a search or ask ANYONE who has used it.

bad moose

Reaction score
I am thinking kind of the same thing. If he decides to spend the money I'll hit you up.

Hey, what fuel pressure did you decide to run. I answered your thread on Compd but never heard back.

bismic

Reaction score
Was the FICM voltage 48 cranking AND when running?

Also - even though the FICM voltage is good, the unit can still be bad.

bad moose

Reaction score
Was the FICM voltage 48 cranking AND when running?

Also - even though the FICM voltage is good, the unit can still be bad.

I believe the voltage was good through all tests.

What would be another test for the ficm. Surely there other ways to test for a bad ficm.

bigdirty

Reaction score
I am sorry but 70$ bucks for 8oz of oil is ridiculous even if it does what you say it does.

Atsah

Reaction score
I am sorry but 70$ bucks for 8oz of oil is ridiculous even if it does what you say it does.

I completely agree with you.. I change my oil three times a year because I drive 12K a year so it's not to bad for me.. It's just another added cost to making a 6.0 run properly.. I think Ford and International just wanted to make sure that the people who bought 6.0's would be replacing spark plugs on there next truck..

Dalpilot

Reaction score

If you pay 70 bucks and it cleans your injectors, saves them from further problems and doubles your oil change interval, (oil change with descent oil = $100+) it appears to me that your saving money, time and troubles. Like I said, you don't have to take my word for it, our customers have written hundreds of post on here, PSN, Comp d, wherever its used. It works, like it or not. However, I am not going to change your mind.

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I completely agree with you.. I change my oil three times a year because I drive 12K a year so it's not to bad for me.. It's just another added cost to making a 6.0 run properly.. I think Ford and International just wanted to make sure that the people who bought 6.0's would be replacing spark plugs on there next truck..

I agree here. With a reputation like the 6.0 has, why not take a few precautionary measures to ensure it runs good and lasts a while? Is it really so hard to change the fluid/filters regularly? I guess for some it is.

So, if someone is having these stiction issues can we assume they have been running garbage oil for extended intervals? I've never had any stiction problems on any of my trucks or the ones I maintain for others but then again I don't run cheapo low end oil. Never understood why anyone would do that in a finicky heui system in the first place, at least not in a 6.0.

Dalpilot

Reaction score
No Stiction has happened in all brands of oil. It seems more prevalent in cheaper oils but guys running full synthetics have it too. Its a fault of the HEUI injection system.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I know a guy with an 03' 6.0l who runs Amsoil with a bypass filter setup on 15,000 mile oil change intervals. Thats right boys and girls 15,000 miles! He just doesn't understand why he keeps going thru injectors. When I got my 6.0l he started telling what junk they are and how he couldn't get a set of injectors to last. The same guy runs a Hypertech (older version, maybe an 03'-04') and has blown 2 sets of head gaskets pulling his camper on the hottest setting. Some people just don't read or pay attention.

Anyway, IMO if a $70 product can save you a set of injectors, not to mention the the aggravation of having your truck run like crap, its defiantly worth $70. You can get a hamburger for $0.99 or you can buy a thick cut, sizzling Filet Mignon for a $50+. Just because you can buy a quart or oil at Autozone for $3 doesn't mean 7oz. of Rev-x isn't worth $70 if it cures a $3000 problem.