'17's Higher pressure coolant system

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Just noticed my '17's Radiator cap is a 21 psi versus the 16 psi that '11 thru '16's have.What would be the consensus,for the change?

redneck1

Reaction score
My 16 has a 21 psi cap, never figured out why the high pressure. Sounds like a recipe for more coolant leaks running that of pressures, but I dunno much about it..

KCCO

Inline6359

Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong here, but..

I do know raising the pressure in the system raises the boiling point. I also know coolant as a whole isn't that efficient in dissipating heat, water is, but water also freezes higher then coolant and boils at a lower temperature. Maybe it has something to do with the ability to run more water in the coolant for better heat dissipation and raising the boiling point so you can run more water? Maybe? Without knowing what changes were made from earlier systems with different caps requiring different coolants to now I'm just spit balling.

mandkole

Reaction score
Id say the coolant temps are driving the cap pressures for emissions. Don't they want them running 215F or so? Im familiar with some heavy truck engine programs and they have pressures on the top tank that may approach 45-50 psi.. its due more to coolant flow rates, but theres some heat gain as well.

Jomax

Reaction score
No idea, but the coolant looks pink now.. so I think they also changed coolants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
No idea, but the coolant looks pink now.. so I think they also changed coolants.

I noticed this immediately when I opened the hood the first time on my 17. Used to be orange on my other 6.7s, now it is definitely a pink colored coolant. Wonder what they did different with the coolant if its something other than a color change.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score

Its the same stuff. The orange is goofy. Sometimes looks pink, if you put a black background to it, like a bucket, it looks greenish.

Latest posts

Members online