Anyone lower a '17 DRW yet?

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Anyone lower a '17 DRW yet? F350 preferably but 450 info may get me pointed the right direction as well.

Curious if a rear block (haven't looked, is there one??) can come out with a factory Ford front spring replacement or if the aftermarket needs to come out and release something for it?

Truck sits a little higher than my '16 and I don't have much room on the tail of the trailer before it hits the ground, already rubbed everything on the '16 and I can just see the '17 being that much worse with 1.5-2.5in more height.

Already checked with Kelderman, can't drive the truck in the low mode on their stock height kit (allows 4in drop when parked)

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Anyone lower a '17 DRW yet? F350 preferably but 450 info may get me pointed the right direction as well.

Curious if a rear block (haven't looked, is there one??) can come out with a factory Ford front spring replacement or if the aftermarket needs to come out and release something for it?

Truck sits a little higher than my '16 and I don't have much room on the tail of the trailer before it hits the ground, already rubbed everything on the '16 and I can just see the '17 being that much worse with 1.5-2.5in more height.

Already checked with Kelderman, can't drive the truck in the low mode on their stock height kit (allows 4in drop when parked)
Block the trailer axles.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Don't know about the F350, but as much as I want to lower my F450 it won't be happening. There is only about 2-3" of front suspension travel. Even if I could drop it up front with a spring change and shorter bump stop, I would bet it will bottom out a lot more often on that new stop...

The rear of my 450 has a factory 3" block. I would think a 350 would have the same. Not sure you can remove it and have the truck sit level without lowering the front. Maybe a 2" block, if that's enough? You are going to want to measure your block and also the ride height difference (front to back) before you do anything.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score

There is a factory 3 1/2 block

I will probably dump the block in mine and bolt OUO traction bars on it if I can.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Block the trailer axles.

Only way I can lift the trailer is on air so I can adjust when loading, I need the trailer low for loading cargo, no exceptions.

Small update... drove the '17 F350DRW (without fifth wheel hitch installed) over to my trailer... shes tight compared to my '16. The bed height is 1in taller itself and the truck is ~1-2in taller as well. Couldn't hook up and drop weight on it because of lack of hitch but I know how hooking up my trailer was I know I am working with less room on the new truck.

Opened '17 Super Duty Tow Guide, F350 DRW tailgate to ground height is 58.7in and F450 is 58in. '16 Super Duty Tow Guide is 56-57in for F350 & F450. So I have about 1.5in in height difference stock.

Likely biting on the F450 in the morning, going to lower the trailer 5th plate one notch to make up for the 1in in bed height, but I am still worried about the tail of the trailer dragging so I may look at changing the rear block and the front springs.

Last edited:

JRLott

Reaction score
Dang. Trucks are looking good, but becoming less useful. Some of the looks are a PITA for hooking up and dragging a trailer or loading crap in the bed.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Dang. Trucks are looking good, but becoming less useful. Some of the looks are a PITA for hooking up and dragging a trailer or loading crap in the bed.

Can't really fault Ford for my issue... they gave us a button to drop tailgate, camera to hook up in bed easier, more power with a better exhaust brake and all sorts of other options... but I happen to own an odd-ball trailer of silly length and height with an odd-ball neck which doesn't allow for a ton of room for error. No travel trailer or flat deck I have moved or used will have the issue I run into with my work truck and trailer.

JRLott

Reaction score
Definitely agree some things are easier and very nice features. Note I said looks...looks are a fad essentially driven by consumers. If consumers, me included, weren't driving the look of a taller vehicle, you wouldn't be seeking to lower yours to be functional. Though it is completely understandable for unique situations such as yours.

TyCorr

Reaction score
There are tons of other issues. Guys are having trouble fitting stock height trucks in their garage with a ladder eack. Dont dven dream about having anything like a break on the rack.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Judging by the amount of suspension travel available in my F450, I don't think they tried to make them taller for any particular "visual" reason. I suspect that the frame changes probably drove the height change more than anything.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Judging by the amount of suspension travel available in my F450, I don't think they tried to make them taller for any particular "visual" reason. I suspect that the frame changes probably drove the height change more than anything.

Same reason a semi chassis is so tall.

300000 and counting

Reaction score
As stated I don't see why you couldn't get a smaller block in the rear. You could get a 2" block for the truck and raise the trailer 1/2" to 1" and you would be a fuzz lower then your 2016. Also something to think about is if you're truck is higher your trailer is closure to the ground in the rear. You maybe able to raise your trailer and not lose any clearance in the rear.

JRLott

Reaction score
Gotcha...didn't think about a taller frame. Going through what Dodge went through in the late 80s again would suck with the amount of Torque these make now. Tall bed sides are likely directly attributed to 350 and down though. Kinda like why do we have 20" rims wrapped with 34" rubber these days? Popularity, and great brakes. I think they look good and love the brakes. Just causes, or exacerbates other issues.

Last edited:

JRLott

Reaction score
As stated I don't see why you couldn't get a smaller block in the rear. You could get a 2" block for the truck and raise the trailer 1/2" to 1" and you would be a fuzz lower then your 2016. Also something to think about is if you're truck is higher your trailer is closure to the ground in the rear. You maybe able to raise your trailer and not lose any clearance in the rear.

Or put a Western Hauler bed on it and it might have enough travel in your trailer hitch to be great. I still like WH beds even though they aren't as popular as they were in the 80s.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score

You may be on to something, just won't know till I get it picked up Monday and hitch in it, hopefully nothing too major.

Been tossing around the idea of a bed as well, just really hoping to not have to dump another 10k into the truck, damn thing is already $85k+ up here to get it out the door, have a little sticker shock when my last one was $65k.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Something like this one from IG.. CM Bed on @powerstrokejunkie

12905003_1720880761511990_802947419_n.jpg