'17 Roof Gutter Trim Removal

jimbob394

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got a 2017 Superduty and I would like to put a Frontrunners roof rack over the cab. I noticed the roof has gutter channels with a plastic covering over it. Does anyone with a '17 know if these plastic covers are removable? If so, are there holes that a mount could be screwed into under these plastic covers?

I've tried prying with my fingers on the plastic channels and they move a bit but I can't seem to pull them off. Not sure how they're stuck on, whether it's adhesive or clips.

Any help or insight is much appreciated.

Thank you.

bd8d5dd77c2aa509965af9adc25bfe49.jpg
09a4670ec6d12c55ce954c1b33055bbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inline6359

Reaction score
Why not call the company that makes your rack of choice and see what they say before you go prying off those pieces? I'm sure they would help, or even have step by step in their instructions.

jimbob394

Reaction score
Why not call the company that makes your rack of choice and see what they say before you go prying off those pieces? I'm sure they would help, or even have step by step in their instructions.

I have been working with a sales rep at Frontrunners, but since the truck is pretty new to the market, they don't have any vehicle specific parts made yet. My eventual goal is to get vehicle specific brackets made for the '17 Superdutys that Frontrunners can put in to production.

jimbob394

Reaction score

jimbob394

Reaction score
After looking through that thread I found a picture with the plastic channel removed. Also, during lunch I was able to lift a little of the channel off of a clip to see underneath. Now I'm wondering if it's okay to remove any of the bolts to put a bracket down for a rack. IMG_2787.JPG
75766ad0406f45eb17eca4f30aa46c2a.jpg

Klarence Karter

Reaction score
I understand the 17 SD has the same cab as the 15+ 150s. Might check with Frontrunner to see what kind of mounts they have for the 150s

jordan572

Reaction score
That was my truck you reposted with the roof seam trim piece deals removed. They are held in by a rivet under the rear glass. No good, to get at the rivet the back glass will have to be pulled. Once the rivet is out the trim piece is clipped in like you've discovered. Start at the rear and work forward. Once the clips are all free slide the entire trim piece towards the front of the truck as it is hooked on the leading edge. Chances are you aren't getting it off though lol.

jimbob394

Reaction score
That was my truck you reposted with the roof seam trim piece deals removed. They are held in by a rivet under the rear glass. No good, to get at the rivet the back glass will have to be pulled. Once the rivet is out the trim piece is clipped in like you've discovered. Start at the rear and work forward. Once the clips are all free slide the entire trim piece towards the front of the truck as it is hooked on the leading edge. Chances are you aren't getting it off though lol.

Hahaha thanks Jordan. I did see that little rivet behind the rear glass. My question is, how do you get the rear glass off? So basically what I'm seeing is I'd have to do all of this just to put a roof rack up there?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Hahaha thanks Jordan. I did see that little rivet behind the rear glass. My question is, how do you get the rear glass off? So basically what I'm seeing is I'd have to do all of this just to put a roof rack up there?

he used that damn jedi mind trick .

Latest posts

Members online