6.4 help

bigastrk

Reaction score
Ok a little background information on my issue:

08 w/ H&S mini KEM tunes, DPF delete, S&B intake, EGR block off plates. 73K miles

Its started to have a slight miss while driving down the highway and at idle. I had the same problem when the EGR valve got gummed up so I proceeded to pull it thinking that was my issue again. Once I pulled the valve I noticed moisture in the intake path at the valve. So I immediately thought the coolers were bad and installed a sinister EGR delete. I hoped that was my problem and thought I got lucky and caught it before anything major happened. My coolant level had gone down a small amount in the tank (about 1 inch). I have also tried numerous other KEM tunes to see if its a tuning issue and they all do it.

This brings me to my next issue:

I am still having the same miss. It is fairly random and doesn't miss all the time. It also seems to lose power. Almost like the regen is still on but just not as extreme of a power loss (just enough to notice really). The rail pressure stays at 5ksi during idle and normal driving at about 65 to 70 mph it is around 10-12ksi. I haven't got on it to see what WOT pressure is because of the cracked piston fears. The filters are new and I put some additive in the tank to see if bad fuel was the issue. No luck. It just started doing this and ran fine all summer long with all the mentioned mods done. The temperature is dropping for us and is right around 40*. Intake temps were 44* while I was watching it on one ride.

It sounds to me like I am having an injector issue. Is there anything else I should look at to eliminate other possible issues?

I have not done a cylinder contribution test because the only software I have access to is Auto Enginuity. The two ford dealers I have around me are not willing to touch the truck unless its back stock. So is there any way to test the injectors or make sure I don't have a cracked piston? I have been looking into a borescope but those are not cheap. Is there a way to get a hold of the ford system to do a contribution test without breaking the bank?

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any info you can give me.

Thank you,
Jesse

bigastrk

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a borescope. Does anyone know what size tip I have to get to be able to get in to look at the piston via glow plug or injector nozzle?

Bluthndr

Reaction score
Ford dealer should still be able to run a relative compression, cyl contribution, and look at your injector fuel trims, balance rates, etc. via their IDS/VCM even with a tuned ECM and let you diagnose. At least then you know if it is more a fuel or engine mechanical problem. That will get you started in the right direction. From what I hear it's pretty much always the #8 piston that cracks, but haven't seen one myself yet.

Bore scope from Snap-On and optional (5.5mm?) tip should get you in an injector hole - maybe a glow plug? If you remove the injector have a new connecting tube on hand for each one you take off.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.