450 wide track conversion on 350

Hoosierdaddy

Reaction score
Does anybody know for sure on the 17 if the wide track front end will fit in place of the 350 front end without changing steering parts and suspension? I meant to see if the wide track front end option was available when I ordered my truck and I forgot to ask. It dang sure wasn't on the sheet I picked options from. Outa sight outa mind I suppose. Reason I ask now, is I think I've decided to go with 37's instead of 35's and figure I'll have to part with the 3.55 gears. Might as well kill two birds with one stone and order the 450 front end with the 4.30 and wide track, but I'm not savy on the 450 front suspension....or even the 350 for that matter. As always, the help is much appreciated.

Jmuck

Reaction score
It's an option. I checked that box when ordering my business partners F350 drw.

No idea about converting though. I'm sure there's a few parts that need to be addressed.

Zmann

Reaction score
well if nothing else. you can use the Vin from jmucks truck ( assuming he lets you know what it is lol)

for Sunrise to use to price the axle since that's what they were lacking

Hoosierdaddy

Reaction score

No idea about converting though. I'm sure there's a few parts that need to be addressed.

That's good to know. I asked the fleet manager today that deals with all the ordering as well and he said the reason I didn't see it when I ordered my truck was because it wasn't an available option on the 2017. Shows how different the knowledge base is from dealer to dealer. I also had one dealer tell me there was no way to get the options I wanted without getting the sunroof also and then a different dealer told me he could order it with every option and still ****** the sunroof. So unfortunately you never know what to believe. I was really sort of shocked that I couldn't add rpo codes or do things like ptm bumpers on a single color king ranch or even a lariat for that matter. They're getting to cookie cutter these days.

Jmuck

Reaction score
The ordering for these trucks was quite a bit different than previous years is what my friend at the dealer (12yr manager) was saying when going through everything.

jbair14

Reaction score

Please show me on the ordering guide where it's an option. When I ordered last August it was definitely not an option and I've yet to see a widetrack 350...

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Last I checked Ford got rid of the widetrack *again* don't know why they keep on, bringing it back then discontinuing.. bringing it back.. they can't make up their minds LOL.

Jmuck

Reaction score
We ordered it back in August also. I'll swing by the dealer and grab a copy of the window sticker and VIN. I can't remember exactly what it was called on the build sheet, but it was the only option for a different front end.

Hoosierdaddy

Reaction score
When I ordered mine, I told the sales manager I wanted every single option and upgrade except the chrome package. He never said anything at the time about a wide track option on the front, so all I got was the snow plow option as far as the front suspension goes. I forgot to ask but I do remember reading before then that it wasn't available for 17.

Hoosierdaddy

Reaction score
We ordered it back in August also. I'll swing by the dealer and grab a copy of the window sticker and VIN. I can't remember exactly what it was called on the build sheet, but it was the only option for a different front end.

Can you see if the axle tag is accessible and shoot me a pm? Maybe I can order a complete assembly if I have an axle tag for them to reference.

12stroker

Reaction score
Wide track front end is no longer a option on a f350. I went in to order one a few weeks ago and was told no you could not get it as a option anymore. You must bump up to a f450 if you want wide track. I am holding out to see if ford changes there mind again on 18 f350 and add wide track back as a option. When I bought my 16 f350 thats one option I wished I got.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I don't know if the mount points are the same on 17+ maybe you can take a widetrack from a 2016 or 08?

Last I checked a full widetrack assembly from ford was around ~3300 that was for a 08 "fat boy".

You would have to figure, out the rear gear though all widetrack axles come with 4.30s.

Zmann

Reaction score
I looked into the wide track 08ish I never did find out if the drag and trac bars are the same length

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I looked into the wide track 08ish I never did find out if the drag and trac bars are the same length

We were looking to swap, this truck we got missed 08 Fatboy production by 2 weeks.

So we got 4.30s, 13000 gvw tow boss package so it would be a direct swap for me.

I never looked farther into it though for all the small odds and ends, I totally forgotten about it LOL.

I'll see if I can find something, I'll post up if I find anything.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
So I went through the parts catalog and narrowed down all wide track specific (steering parts) for an 08.

11-16 should be similar most likely?, and possibly 17+ depending if ford changed any major parts or not.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Gear box STG-285

Left outer tie rod 8C3Z-3A131-C

Right outer tie rod 8C3Z-3A131-B

Tie rod adjust tube 8C3Z-3281-D

Drag link end HC3Z-3A131-B

Drag link 8C3Z-3304-D

Pitman arm 8C3Z-3590-D

Damper 8C3Z-3E651-E

Zmann

Reaction score
thanks man !
I figured the tierod was longer and would come with the complete axle assembly ?

Apparently the drag link is longer

kinda surprised the trac bar isn't longer

i wonder what happens if you don't do the steering gear and pitman ?
loose the extra turning radius?

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
thanks man !

i wonder what happens if you don't do the steering gear and pitman ?
loose the extra turning radius?

i'm not sure, for the axle though couldn't you take a 450 8 lug from 11-14 axle instead of getting a "fatboy" 350 specific axle from ford?

If its the same, you could probably find a whole assembly with all the accessories on ebay or something to cut down on cost.

Zmann

Reaction score
it gets messy doesn't it ?
the F 450 for some years was ten lug then then 8x170 for a few but i am not sure they had the wide track for those years

the F 350 dually is 8x170 mm

i need to keep notes LOL anyway I appreciate the list !

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.