Upgrade Wish List

genie144

Reaction score
I am doing some long term planning and need some input. The truck currently sits at ~400hp at the wheels with small injectors and stock H2E. This is a daily driven truck (finally) that is used to haul my daughters, wife, and dog - so ride quality is important (but not really the driving factor). The truck currently has some play in the steering and the suspension seems a bit soft.

Truck as it sits today:
19.5" with 35" tires
Stock suspension (I believe)
Stock Brakes
Lame Stickers
Crew Cab Long Bed
~400hp/800tq

Truck as I want it:
19.5" with 35" tires
4" Suspension lift (preferable 1" body 3" suspension)
Traction Bars
Cryo Rotors/Pads (possibly f-450 upgrade)
No Lame Stickers
Crew Cab Long Bed
~700hp/1400tq

So this is what I am looking for from the great internet oracles... If you were looking to upgrade the suspension/drivetrain what would you do? I would like to know what the recommendation would be if you had an unlimited budget (which I don't have) and if you were doing it on a constrained budget. The parts are generally in three categories:

Suspension - Lift, shocks, springs, traction bars
Brakes - Rotors, Calipers, Pads
Drivetrain - driveshaft, yokes, axles, etc

Look forward to your opinions.

Sam

Betarocker

Reaction score
Don't do a body lift. Go full 4" on a suspension lift. Either 4" leafs (I'm partial to Icon or Deaver) or a 4.5" hanger/shackle kit with factory x-codes. Adjustable tracbar, "box kit", and new shocks (Bilstein 5100 or Icon Signature Series).
Out back go with 3" Deavers with a block to make up the difference to level, some air bags for extra load carrying and OUO adaptable length traction bars with a bolt on axle mount.

Going to 450/550 brakes might require new knuckles. Need to look into that to confirm.
You might want to do some price comparing and consider SSBS V8 calipers with Powerslot Cryo rotors. Re/re the knuckles could get pricey too.

You won't need to lengthen the driveshaft until you get past a 8" lift. Spicer U-joints (non-greasable are stronger). Unless you're sled pulling or very abusive, the stoke yokes shood be adequate. If you really want to get crazy, delve into the axles and add either a Trutrac or ARB in each end)

Now onto the 700hp......CumminGs being swapped in?

genie144

Reaction score
Thank you... Lot to digest - will get back with some questions... I also got off my ass and updated my signature with info...

Horsepower will be achieved with more air and fuel... 700 is a goal to be competitive nothing more...

Sam

genie144

Reaction score
So the 450/550 brakes are to go to a ~14" rotor in the front. I couldn't find anyone who knew for sure so I ordered the parts from advanced to see if they will work. Otherwise will do cryo with hawk pads.

I really want to keep the truck as low as possible. Which would ride better the 4" lift or shackle with X codes?

What is the 'box kit'?

Sam

Betarocker

Reaction score
Thinking more about it, the F450/550 hubs have a 10 stud pattern, and therefore will need hubs and wheels to match.

I like the ride offers by my Icon 4" leafs. Not soft by any means, but progressive and plush. X-codes are supposedly softer.

The box kit offered by Icon includes a drop tracbar bracket, a drop pitman arm, longer swarbar end links, bumpstop spacer.

If you go with the hanger/shackle lift, I suggest the Icon version. They offer (was included in my kit) a crash bar that connects between both hangers to add torsional stiffness.

genie144

Reaction score
So there were some F-450/550s that had the same bolt pattern 8x170. That is the ones I am after. Delay at advanced, so I don't know yet if they will fit. At this rate I won't have time until after Thanksgiving to see if they will fit. I will probably just go with the cryo'd rotors and hawks for the braking... I will still check out the new parts and see if they would work...

Brakes will be done in December. After the brakes, I will be moving to the steering/suspension components. I do not know if I can justify the price Icon is asking... I am sure it is a great kit but at ~$1,200 without shocks/leafs... Probably will have to go with a more affordable kit - otherwise I will never get the engine where I need it to be...

Sam

Latest posts

Members online