Exhaust Filter Cleaning Message

Reaction score
On my prior 6.7s (until they were ******d) there would always be a message that pops up briefly that says "cleaning exhaust filter" when it would kick on a regen. I now have 1200 miles on my truck which is mostly been driving on the interstate and never once has that message popped up.

I do however have an Edge CTS2 that I use as a monitor and that will tell me when the regen status changes to ON and the EGT temps go up as well as the soot load percent. Its regened 4 times total for me so far. Every time I get 90-100% loaded on soot, I watch the info display on the dash like a hawk. Never once has the message popped up even once the regen lights off. Has anyone else seen this message pop up on the 2017s? I dont know if that message only comes up if you need to regen, but havent allowed it the proper driving conditions or if it should always be popping up every time it regens. I do have a Job 2 built truck, and not sure if something has changed with later builds.

maxxedout

Reaction score
My 2017 is a job 2, and I've never seen the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message either. My first regen was around 400 miles, and the only reason I knew it started is because of the exhaust smell and my fuel mileage went to ****. If I'm really paying attention, I can hear a bit of a change in the engine/timing noise, but other than that, it's barely noticeable.

On another note, I messed with IDS and tried to enable manual regeneration to get the D-P-F percentage display to show up in the cluster, but that didn't work. I guess the 2017 cluster is "smarter" than previous years, and it knows that option isn't available on a Lariat, KR, or Platinum.

sootie

Reaction score
My 2017 is a job 2, and I've never seen the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message either. My first regen was around 400 miles, and the only reason I knew it started is because of the exhaust smell and my fuel mileage went to ****. If I'm really paying attention, I can hear a bit of a change in the engine/timing noise, but other than that, it's barely noticeable.

On another note, I messed with IDS and tried to enable manual regeneration to get the D-P-F percentage display to show up in the cluster, but that didn't work. I guess the 2017 cluster is "smarter" than previous years, and it knows that option isn't available on a Lariat, KR, or Platinum.

just get forscan and enable it that way. search for the thread on here...

Reaction score

Glad to know it doesnt always pop up. Being that Ive always been able to monitor the % and status, I have always been able to keep driving it when its needed a regen. But I would imagine now the only way that message pops up is if it needs you to drive to complete a regen. Guess its a little different than the prior years where it would always flash the message on your screen when it would start.

maxxedout

Reaction score
just get forscan and enable it that way. search for the thread on here...

I've thought about getting Forscan and trying that... Unfortunately, I've never messed with the program, and would rather not screw anything up lol. It would be nice to know what the D-P-F status is, at least until it ends up in my shed...

Personally, I think Ford did away with the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message to eliminate some nuisance service visits from drivers that automatically think something is wrong if there's a message on the dash. If everything is operating correctly, a regular regen event is pretty seamless, and I best most people don't even notice anymore.

Spatel23

Reaction score
Forscan is really useful.
I'd encourage you to try it out.
Once you see it in person you'll understand it all, pretty straightforward.
Can't beat the ~$80 cost imo

Reaction score
I've thought about getting Forscan and trying that... Unfortunately, I've never messed with the program, and would rather not screw anything up lol. It would be nice to know what the D-P-F status is, at least until it ends up in my shed...

Honestly man, dont be afraid. Its REALLY easy to use and as long as you start off by backing up and saving all your "as built" data, you cant mess it up. Cause if something did get messed up, you can just revert back to your as built data and it will be back to normal. Theres plenty of great tutorials out there to get you started with this that once you see it will give you the confidence to actually use it. Just make sure to follow ALL the directions when you are starting. Trust me, youll love it if you attempt it!!

Latest posts

Members online