EGR Maintenance

FirstSixOh

Reaction score
I used to drive a car that was classified by CA as a "gross polluter" which meant I had to have it smogged every year, rather than every 2 years. My smog pro told me to pull the EGR valve and clean it every year before the smog test, which I did, and it passed every time. My 07 6.0 came to me with 220,000 miles and no maintenance records. I figured a look at the EGR would tell me something about the condition of the engine. Pulling the EGR was simple. I made a tool out of copper wire and it slide right out. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Best part: It was DRY. I was able to clean it using only a toothbrush lightly sprayed with carb cleaner. A screwdriver was used to hold the valve open to clean the seating surfaces. I used one drop of ashless 2-stroke oil to lube the valve, and it made a noticeable difference after 20 or so cycles on the bench. I never sprayed the carb cleaner directly on the EGR so as not to get any in the weep holes. Slipped on the new o-rings and gasket, slid it back in place, done. I am very glad to see it was dry, no evidence of a blown EGR cooler, and it wasn't as coked up as the ones I have seen in the photos

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    600.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    652.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    684.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Atsah

Reaction score
Ya, didn't look to bad before you cleaned it.. I have found that useing Motorcraft Performance Cetane in the fuel helps to keep it clean, along with several WOT's a week..

Members online

No members online now.