04 6.0

Ipkyss

Reaction score
been out of the loop on the 6.0 for a while. My 04 has 60k on it. Late 04. Has ran Erics X-street since it came out. New powermaxx last winter. Other than turbos seals going bad a few times the truck has been perfect.

Last few weeks, I have been getting some blue smoke while idling cold. Not bad, but a haze. Goes a way after it warms up. Smells like fuel. The burn your eyes kinda smell. I am worried its an injector going bad. I am not 100% sure of the signs of a bad injector though. It runs and drives smooth. I just don't want one to totally fail taking out a cylinder. If I drove it every day, I would not worry so much. I gave the truck to my father and I don't know that he would notice an issue.

Is it time to do injectors, or is there something else I should look into first?

Atsah

Reaction score
Mine does this as well.. Starting to get a little chilly here in the morning.. I'm going to give REV-X a shot.. Try plugging it in, if that cures the problem then I would say you have spool valve sticktion like I do..

nsty 6oh

Reaction score
ever since i tuned my truck, when its chilly outside and the truck is cold, until it warms up, it has always hazed. its just un-burnt fuel from the tune and the cylinder temps not being hot enough to burn all the fuel

Atsah

Reaction score
Ya, I guess that's possible as well.. IDK anything about the tuning, my truck is stock..

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Going to change the oil and see if that helps. I guess he had the oil changed, so there is a chance it has 15/40 in it. Truck has never been right on 15/40. I guess I might have answered my own question. I know some smoke is common with cold, but its abnormal for this truck.

I guess I am just on edge with it. Its been so good for me, I am expecting something to happen...

Betarocker

Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to have it hooked up and do a contribution test when cold. Also check FICM voltage, and glow plug system.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Aint nothing wrong with it. Mine does it and i know my ****s good

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Aint nothing wrong with it. Mine does it and i know my ****s good

There might not be anything wrong with it, but its not right either. It may be normal, but its abnormal for my truck. which means something has changed. Hoping it was just the wrong oil.

Atsah

Reaction score
There might not be anything wrong with it, but its not right either. It may be normal, but its abnormal for my truck. which means something has changed. Hoping it was just the wrong oil.

What have the temps been as of late in you area?

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Starting to get cold. 30-40 in the am. When I first got the truck it would barley start/ run when it was in the teens with 15/40. It would just chug and smoke really bad. Have been running 10/30 year round since with no issues. For some reason, I didn't remember that till after typing this post. I have been so into my 6.4, I am starting to forget what issues the 6.0 had...

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
If you really wanna think its got a problem...your rings are burnt.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
If you really wanna think its got a problem...your rings are burnt.

gee, thanks for the tip :lame:

I don't want to think there is something wrong with it. despite your idea that nothing is wrong. The truck is doing something that is has not done for the last 6-7 years. There for something is not right. With any luck, a quick oil change will put things back to normal.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
I would change the oil and it wouldn't hurt to check the glow plugs...maybe you have one not putting out enough heat and that is causing the difference you're seeing.

Atsah

Reaction score
Starting to get cold. 30-40 in the am. When I first got the truck it would barley start/ run when it was in the teens with 15/40. It would just chug and smoke really bad. Have been running 10/30 year round since with no issues. For some reason, I didn't remember that till after typing this post. I have been so into my 6.4, I am starting to forget what issues the 6.0 had...

Ya, I run 10W30 year round as well.. Even if it has a little sticktion problem the 15W40 and temps 30-40F it wont run well for a few minutes cold.. Like I said, try plugging it in for an hour to see if it goes away, that will narrow it down to two things, sticktion or a glow plug problem.. My guess would be you have injector sticktion and the 15W40 with those temps is exacerbating the problem..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.