6.4L in a 99 SD

superstroker99

Reaction score
Im looking to swap a 6.4 in my superduty i love the 7.3 but theres only so much that can be done with them, look at brain (powersmoker) hell of a truck but the common rails are hard to beat. I use my truck for towing customers trucks sled pulling and DD. Ijust think the 6.4 would be a better horse power platform. 500hp is not hard at all with a 6.4 and the power lever wouldnt take any driveablity away from it. So if anyone knows where i can get a doner truck please let me know

co04cobra

Reaction score
Im not knocking the 6.4s or CR setups, but if you only want 500hp or so. You could get that a lot easier and cheaper then the 15-20K its going to take you to convert it to a 6.4. As for for Brian at over 700 the motor he did this with was a stock 240K 7.3 long block. Do you know how much $$ it takes to get any diesel over 700 CR or not?

Viking

Reaction score
Im not knocking the 6.4s or CR setups, but if you only want 500hp or so. You could get that a lot easier and cheaper then the 15-20K its going to take you to convert it to a 6.4. As for for Brian at over 700 the motor he did this with was a stock 240K 7.3 long block. Do you know how much $$ it takes to get any diesel over 700 CR or not?

For a CR I thought you just stack tuners until you have 1000hp?

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
For a CR I thought you just stack tuners until you have 1000hp?

No sir. Doesn't work that way.

I love the 6.4. But wouldn't spend the money on doing the swap. If all you want is 500 that's easily obtainable with a 7.3. Or if you want CR my race truck will be done soon, and a kit will be available. Or..... You could just buy a 6.4 truck

Samsung Infuse

Viking

Reaction score
No sir. Doesn't work that way.

I love the 6.4. But wouldn't spend the money on doing the swap. If all you want is 500 that's easily obtainable with a 7.3. Or if you want CR my race truck will be done soon, and a kit will be available. Or..... You could just buy a 6.4 truck

Samsung Infuse

I was poking fun at the dodge guys

Wayne

Reaction score
Unless you've got gobs of money tied up into your truck that you'll never get back, you're way better off financially to sell it, and buy a truck that came with a 6.4. If you're set on doing it, best bed is to find a wrecked, preferably rolled 6.4, and swap everything over. Let us know how it works out

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Interested to see how this turns out. I second what was said earlier, 500hp is easy and cheaper without the 6.4 swap. If you could find a wrecked truck and swap everything over, that would be awesome!

JMart

Reaction score
The good thing about this swap would be that when the emission Nazi's actually start enforcing dpf's then you wouldn't have to worry about it on a 99.

my79f

Reaction score
The good thing about this swap would be that when the emission Nazi's actually start enforcing dpf's then you wouldn't have to worry about it on a 99.

I have been thinking about this the last couple of days, and wondering how hard it would be to pick up a wrecked 08-10, and swap the dash, and the front section of the frame that includes the motor.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Cheapest I have saw wrecked 6.4s going for is 6-8K. I own a wrecked repairables business fwiw. After that just a lot of labor and some fabrication.

Gearhead

Reaction score
What about dropping an earlier body and vin on a wrecked 08 and newer chassis and drivetrain?

co04cobra

Reaction score
Could work. Also depends on what state you are in and what the laws are about swapping vins to different frames etc... You would still have a descent amount of fabrication from the firewall forward to fit that frame with a 99-07 cab.

my79f

Reaction score
What about dropping an earlier body and vin on a wrecked 08 and newer chassis and drivetrain?

I think if i were going to do the swap, i would want the dash and all the 08-10 stuff underneath it as well. That way you have a completely factory dash and wiring harness that you dont have to worry about splicing and patching to the earlier model.

What would be even cooler is if someone(like painless) came out with a standalone wiring harness so you could drop this motor/tranny into say an OBS, or older pickup.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I think if i were going to do the swap, i would want the dash and all the 08-10 stuff underneath it as well. That way you have a completely factory dash and wiring harness that you dont have to worry about splicing and patching to the earlier model.

What would be even cooler is if someone(like painless) came out with a standalone wiring harness so you could drop this motor/tranny into say an OBS, or older pickup.

It should bolt up for the most part

Mdub707

Reaction score
I bet making payments on a used 08 in good shape will end up being the cheaper/easier solution, and last longer. Not to knock what you're doing here though, I think a 6.4 powered OBS would be BAD ARSE!

Latest posts

Members online