What maintenance requires the cab to be lifted?

b00stleak

Reaction score
I am trying to get Ford's for my departments next brush trucks. We are looking at purchasing 5 Skeeters. We already have a '16, and while on deployment in California the EGR valve failed. A guy at the dealership said "good thing you don't have the new one, or else the cab would have to be lifted."

I call BS on that, but the Chief is afraid of having to lift the cab for simple maintenance and long down times. Same Ford guy said "it takes a long time to lift the cab". The older trucks, it could be done in about an hour and a half right?

I am looking to verify what actually needs the cab lifted off for. I assume just major work, like heads being pulled. Educate me. If I can't convince him, we are getting Rams.

-Matt

sootie

Reaction score
Rams have weaker front ends and horrible transmissions. Lifting the cab would be necessary for major engine work. EGR coolers, turbos etc can easily be done cab on. Truthfully, these trucks rarely need the cab lifted if they arent heavily modded performance wise.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Personally, on the 15+ i pull the cab to pull the turbo. The down pipe is a pain in the ass, at le a st to me... I just did a fuel system on a 17 forest service truck that they decided to put gas in... While the 17s are a bit more of a pain than the 11-16, all was still doable with the cab on. Including pulling the egr cooler and stuff. The cowl grille does have to come off due to it over hanging over the intake, but thats a 2 minute job to pull.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Rams have weaker front ends and horrible transmissions. Lifting the cab would be necessary for major engine work. EGR coolers, turbos etc can easily be done cab on. Truthfully, these trucks rarely need the cab lifted if they arent heavily modded performance wise.

Not to mention transfer cases blowing up left and right, and automatic trucks jumping out of park at idle with no one in em! Turds. Back in 2015, i got a brand new 5500 company mechanics truck. In the first 30k miles (1,200 ish hrs, truck had a pto driven compressor), cat and *** clogged, bcm had to be replaced after i hooked to a trailer with shotty wiring, and the front diff cover started leaking. My old company has more than a few instances of the trucks jumping out of park too.

F

Floorboard79

lifting the cab isnt a huge deal. if you do your own maintenance on the fleet buy a 11000 lb lift for $3-4k. I dont specifically know what items cannot be replaced with cab lifted, but i do know it speeds up alot of repair work

that being said, the egr valve cooler and pipes came out of my 17' just fine, i actually thought it was easier than my 2012 dodge cummins. All of the nuts and bolts were easily accessible

b00stleak

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I am not gonna be the one working on them, I am just tired of our current Ram's always going down. We have Ram's for our ambulances. I am trying to change our whole fleet over. Ambulances go up for replacement in few weeks as well.

Latest posts

Members online