Oil and Other Questions

Vermonter

Reaction score
What kind of Oil do you guys recommend. I am in SLC and we are heading into winter, right now it has 15w-40 that was in it when I bought it. I am thinking I am going to go to 5w-40. Would I benefit from going synthetic, I will probably end up changing it every 5,000 miles. And on that note are there any other things that I should check regularly to make sure that it will keep running well.

Atsah

Reaction score
I think the 5-40 synthetic will work good for you.. Drain your water seperator once a month in the winter.. Replace your fuel filters every other oil change and if I was you I would invest $72.00 in a upgraded motorcraft fuel pressure regulator kit to make sure your fuel pressure stays were your injectors like it to be..

Last edited:

yeehaw

Reaction score
i have been running mine on 5w40 for just shy of 30k and it loves it. Truck never burns any, and at 5k it is still fairly clean looking on the dipstick.

Vermonter

Reaction score
Alright sounds like I will be switching to 5w-40 synthetic are there any companies that are great Valvoline seems to be the favorite on here, any I should definitely stay away from?

Vermonter

Reaction score
Also when it comes back to summer should I switch back to 15 or is it safe to stay with 5?

Atsah

Reaction score
Alright sounds like I will be switching to 5w-40 synthetic are there any companies that are great Valvoline seems to be the favorite on here, any I should definitely stay away from?

Valvoline, Mobil Turbo Diesel, Rotella T6, Amsoil, all good oils..

Also when it comes back to summer should I switch back to 15 or is it safe to stay with 5?

Run it year round..

yeehaw

Reaction score
i have been running the valvoline, but first time i ran mobil1 delvac, either seemed fine and i run it all year here in wisconsin. It did awesome last winter on cold starts

Vermonter

Reaction score
Alright, we are dropping into the thirties here in the morning and it hates life when it starts, so I am definitely going to switch.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting the premium blue? I can't seem to find it anywhere locally, and I don't really want to have to order it, if I can't find it on the shelf it really doesn't help me much in an emergency situation.

Atsah

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting the premium blue? I can't seem to find it anywhere locally, and I don't really want to have to order it, if I can't find it on the shelf it really doesn't help me much in an emergency situation.

The only place that has it around here is NAPA for about $27.00 a jug.. I don't use it for that reason..

Vermonter

Reaction score
So I installed an edge insight that I got today and I was watching the oil temps. They were looking pretty hot at around 230F the highest it hit was 234F. My buddy who has a 6.4 says that his never get close to that high. Is that normal for 6.0's because of the HPOP, or is that high and i should check out my oil cooler? Also what is the benefit of running synthetic over normal oil. I plan to change mine every 5K miles, is this a good interval, and will I see a difference in engine longevity with synthetic over normal?

Atsah

Reaction score
So I installed an edge insight that I got today and I was watching the oil temps. They were looking pretty hot at around 230F the highest it hit was 234F. My buddy who has a 6.4 says that his never get close to that high. Is that normal for 6.0's because of the HPOP, or is that high and i should check out my oil cooler? Also what is the benefit of running synthetic over normal oil. I plan to change mine every 5K miles, is this a good interval, and will I see a difference in engine longevity with synthetic over normal?

I'm really not sure about the temps.. 6.0 and the 6.4 are two different animals.. The benifit of the synthetic 5-40 is that is flows better when it's cold and helps with injector sticktion in the 6.0.. As far as longevity, your guess is as good as mine.. I use Rotella T-5 10W30 semi-syn in the winter, I like it, it's easy to find and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, $16.00 a gallon at Wal-Mart.. I change out at 4-5K also.. I use Motorcraft 15W40 May-September..

Atsah

Reaction score
I just did a little reading on this and it looks like your temps are little high.. Keep an eye on degas bottle, make sure it's at the min mark cold.. 234 looks to be normal for pulling hard.. Someone who knows more about this will probably fill us in..

Vermonter

Reaction score
What is stictioni have seen it all over the place but I have not been able to find a good answer of what it is. Also isn't the degas bottle for coolant, those temps seem to be fine at around 180. It's the oil temp and the spread between the two that have me concerned.

Dalpilot

Reaction score
Your temps are way high. You should see around 185-200 max unless your towing something heavy. With 190's and a 65 mm vgt turbo towing 10k i see no more than 225 on a hot day. It sounds like your oil cooler is clogged.
Stiction is what causes your injectors to fail in the 6.0. Easy fix though.

Atsah

Reaction score
What is stictioni have seen it all over the place but I have not been able to find a good answer of what it is. Also isn't the degas bottle for coolant, those temps seem to be fine at around 180. It's the oil temp and the spread between the two that have me concerned.

Injector spool valve sticktion.. It is an issue for most people who own a 6.0.. REV-X oil additive is the answer for that.. Yes degas is for the coolant.. Coolant is what cools your oil.. As Tim said, your oil cooler is clogged, probably because the coolant wasn't flushed when it should have been.. I flush mine every 50K regardless of what anyone says..

Latest posts

Members online