03 vgt turbo vs 05 vgt?

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Let's say I was gonna run 155s and had a lead on a new 03 turbo very little investment.

Would this be a lateral move?

Just not convinced I need a powermax.

Atsah

Reaction score
I think if I did 155's I would buy the Powermax.. From what I read it spools faster and egt's would be lower.. I also think it sounds as good or better as my 03..

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Just not convinced I need a powermax.[/QUOTE]

:thumbup:

Snake

Reaction score
Gare, I've had an 05, an 04, and an 03 turbo on my truck over the past 6 years. I noticed absolutely zero performance differences between the three.

If you're gonna buy some 155's and you're going after some extra hp and not merely some whistle, you'll have to invest in a Powermax.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Does anyone feel that the powermax just isnt a good perfect turbo, like i think we should have by now??

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
You could get a batmowheel for the stock turbo or just be realistic and get 190's.... Your going to want more about 3 weeks after the new wears off might as well do it now

Dustball8504

Reaction score
190s and a 64/70 non VGT. The 6.0 sounds mean with a non vgt turbo.

But if its a cost thing then put the 155s in with your stock turbo. It would give you a nice little punch.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Im running 190's with a 03 turbo and with Chris B's tuning it runs SUPER HARD and burns as clean as it did before the 190's. Im going to go with this setup for a while, I honestly couldn't justify the Powermax price if you're not looking for ground breaking power, the 03 turbo will still put down just south of 500 with proper tuning and capable injectors.

I'd rather have a fuel system and ficm flash, or a gogo stage 1 intake over the powermax.

I've been contemplating the idea of going two different directions. And right now there are setups that can make proven power, but I want to try and make 520 to the wheels with a 03 turbo and no nitrous. I think Its more than possible with a drop in Batmowheel, ficm tuning, and doug's stage 1 intake on top of my setup currently i think Ill be there with live tuning. I sure dont expect to be the fastest truck, I want it to be quick, and fun to drive, with being reliable and driveable. Right now My truck drives like stock and it makes awesome power and I kind of want to keep it this way but a little bit more.

Last edited:

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
im running 190's with a 03 turbo and with Chris B's tuning it runs SUPER HARD and burns as clean as it did with the 190's. Im going to go with this setup for a while, I honestly couldn't justify the Powermax price if you're not looking for ground breaking power. I'd rather have a fuel system and ficm flash, or a gogo stage 1 intake over than the powermax.

Im going to try and make 520 to the ground with a 03 turbo no nitrous, I think Its more than possible.

drop in Batmowheel, ficm tuning, and doug's stage 1 intake i think Ill be there with live tuning.

Good info. I have a stage 1 manifold already...so that helps too.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
One step ahead of the game already, What do you use the truck for?

I hardly ever tow and If I do its max 8k and I have no issues doing so with my setup and a tow tune.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
One step ahead of the game already, What do you use the truck for?

I hardly ever tow and If I do its max 8k and I have no issues doing so with my setup and a tow tune.

Truck is basically a toy. Dont ever plan on towing more than 8-10k pounds...but we're talking about travel trailers again so I do want the tow option on the table.

Snake

Reaction score
Im running 190's with a 03 turbo and with Chris B's tuning it runs SUPER HARD and burns as clean as it did before the 190's. Im going to go with this setup for a while, I honestly couldn't justify the Powermax price if you're not looking for ground breaking power, the 03 turbo will still put down just south of 500 with proper tuning and capable injectors.

You don't think a 04-07 turbo would do the same? I have to be honest and say I've yet to see any proof that a 03 turbo makes more power than the other years.

I dunno.....maybe someone will prove me wrong.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I honestly cannot make that claim because I dont know myself, Im just restating information from reading on the forums. Some claim the 03 flowing a tad more air, is it noticeable? Who knows without back to back dyno proof.

I do know that the drop in batmowheel's only fit 03 turbos, the 04+ have to be machined for them to fit... Adding one more piece to that puzzle

Latest posts

Members online