Oh, No, Coolant Leak

FirstSixOh

Reaction score
I did my complete flush, installed my coolant filter, and 3 gallons of Delo 8 days ago. No problem till now. I noticed a little puddle of coolant at the brake shop this morning, and another when I got home. There is nothing leaking in the area of the flushing T where I put the coolant filter line in the heater hose. No leaks around the degas bottle. The drip seems to be directly above the starter, and I cannot see the origin of the leak from either above or below the engine. Valve cover is dry. No leak around the water pump. Degas bottle level is right where I put it when I installed the Delo, at the low mark when cold. Total coolant loss so far can't be more than a couple of ounces, but with all the horror stories about oil coolers and EGR coolers and ruined engines, I want to get this thing fixed. Almost forgot. I did not remove engine block drains for the flush. I used 33 gallons of distilled water and drained it until it came out clear after running, then drained it once more.
Learned a little more about my truck today. It's registered as 2007, but the engine sticker says 2006. The brake man had to send the 2007 rotors back and get 2006 rotors. Any help or ideas with this little leak will be greatly appreciated. Are there any little leaks on a 6.0?

Last edited:

yeehaw

Reaction score
i had this same exact issue at the end of summer. The tee in the heater hose was leaking just enough to where it ran down the bottom of the hose to the back of the valve cover and down the back of the block. The stuff evaporates pretty good it seems so it is hard to chase, not sure if that is where your leak is from but worth a shot. Or else maybe you have an o-ring within the valley of the motor that is leaking.

jdc753

Reaction score
If its coming from right above the starter I would check the heater box and hoses, and also where I would bet money on would be the little silicone hose between the EGR cooler and the oil cooler.

Your truck should have a newer blue hose between the 2 coolers, but if it has an older orange hose then I would definitely think that is the issue. When mine was leaking it took me forever to track it down but it would drip right by the starter, almost like the AC condensor. Turned out it was the hose in the valley dripping and letting the coolant run off the back side of the block and down.

Keanoknick

Reaction score
If its coming from right above the starter I would check the heater box and hoses, and also where I would bet money on would be the little silicone hose between the EGR cooler and the oil cooler.

Your truck should have a newer blue hose between the 2 coolers, but if it has an older orange hose then I would definitely think that is the issue. When mine was leaking it took me forever to track it down but it would drip right by the starter, almost like the AC condensor. Turned out it was the hose in the valley dripping and letting the coolant run off the back side of the block and down.

:whs:

Latest posts

Members online