70 hp injectors in a 2000 7.3?

maxtrax

Reaction score
I want to get some bigger injectors but have a 2000 7.3 auto tranny. Can I use the 1994-1997 70hp tranny saver injectors in my 2000? It doesn't list them under the 1999.5-2003 injector section on the website. I have a TS-6 chip that can be reburned for them... am I going to see a performance gain with them?

wint

Reaction score
Your stock injectors are 90ccs and the SD injectors are like 130cc (i think, close to that). The tranny savers are usually a 130cc. So basically they are going to preform like a tuned SD. If it were me id just spring for the stage ones (160cc) and have them detuned to save the transmission.

Jason

Reaction score
I think the OBS injectors are 90cc stock, and the SD injectors are 140cc. So in that case, why go to a smaller injector? Get a set of 160/146's (stock nozzle) 160/30 or 160/100's (nozzle size numerically is smaller, but it's actually 100% "faster" I guess, if you will for lack of a better word than the stock nozzle is. Buy the injectors, have them detuned until you get trans, and air solved, and then turn the wick up on them.

WIESEL

Reaction score
You prolly gonna have some tranny issues with the tuner alone...

Reaction score
But you would be gaining the efficiency of the single shot vs splits. I would bet you would feel some gain even though they are the same size CC

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Your stock injectors are 90ccs and the SD injectors are like 130cc (i think, close to that). The tranny savers are usually a 130cc. So basically they are going to preform like a tuned SD. If it were me id just spring for the stage ones (160cc) and have them detuned to save the transmission.

He has a SD & was wondering if OBS injectors will work.

TyCorr

Reaction score
e99 inj were 120cc..the late 99-03 trucks had 140ish cc inj's

maxtrax

Reaction score
He has a SD & was wondering if OBS injectors will work.

That is correct. I want to know if they will work in my PSD and if there will be any performance gain.

My ultimate reason is I am running home brew fuel and my tuner told me that state 1's would be more conducive to this type of fuel. However I don't want to tear my tranny up too much by going to stage 1's if the 70hp injectors will work. BTW - getting my chip retuned isn't an issue as I have free lifetime reburns.

Jason

Reaction score
They are "70 horse" injectors, for an OBS truck which has 50cc's less fuel than a stock injectered super duty. You are going down to a smaller injector than what your trck has stock. The only "gain" you would see is the benefit of a single shot versus a split, you won't see any hp gain. Yes, I am sure they would work, but to see any hp gain, you will have to go bigger. More fuel is where your hp gain would come from..not less fuel. Most stock auto's don't live too long behind a tuned truck, mine made it almost 100k, before knocking out the reverse boost valve, and wanting to die going into reverse.

Jason

Reaction score
I ran Matt's tunes, never did I say that I roached my tranny due to it being tuned..mine started trying to lock the tc in reverse. Completely different issue. Quality tuning will let a stock trans live, but how many dumbass kids out there get their truck tuned and then drive civilized?? It's the added power and their driving practices that do it, and I don't care how good the tunes are, you can't tune around the moron in the seat. My tranny actually lasted 60k miles after Matt tuned it, and that's with the converter locking up on the 1-2 shift..he said it wouldn't last long but it did

woodduck97

Reaction score
Ok that is how you should state it then. A moron will make a trans die and a civil person it will last.

maxtrax

Reaction score
They are "70 horse" injectors, for an OBS truck which has 50cc's less fuel than a stock injectered super duty. You are going down to a smaller injector than what your trck has stock. The only "gain" you would see is the benefit of a single shot versus a split, you won't see any hp gain. Yes, I am sure they would work, but to see any hp gain, you will have to go bigger. More fuel is where your hp gain would come from..not less fuel. Most stock auto's don't live too long behind a tuned truck, mine made it almost 100k, before knocking out the reverse boost valve, and wanting to die going into reverse.

This is what I was looking to know. I somewhat figured that the newer trucks would have larger injectors but if you compare both of the 160cc injectors they all say 140hp gain for both the PSD and the OBS trucks. I would have thought that if the PSD's had larger injectors that the performance gain wouldn't be as significant as the OBS trucks. I guess I will talk to my tuner about what he can do to my injectors.

Can the split shots be converted to single shots simply by removing some parts on the inside? He told me that when going to stage 1 nozzles they make internal modifications to the injector that make them get the most benefit... something that he said many places don't do.

woodduck97

Reaction score
Yes a split shot can be converted to a single shot. Also if you go to a stage one 160cc injector you will have more top end power do to oil presure not dropping off like the split shots do. I would give Mike a call at Mikes diesel performance to get a set of Casserly injectors.

Latest posts

Members online