Best Tuner Questions

Donnie1

Reaction score
I know I am opening a can of worms but I would like to have as much info as possible before buying a tuner.

I am not wanting to race the truck or anything like that but I will be pulling a horse trailer and possibly later on a camper. I already have an Edge Insight for monitoring purposes. The truck is stock with the exception of a Banks High Air system. I will be, witin the next couple of weeks doing teh EGR delete and replacing teh cooler as well as flushing the system.

And as with everyone else, funds are an issue.My truck is an 07 F-250 XLT Laraiat FX4 with teh 6.0.

So bring on the opinions, good and bad are welcome.

STROKER

Reaction score
Since you have a insight get a sct x3 with custom tunes from innovative or gearhead. Nuff said

windrunner408

Reaction score
x2 to the SCT with custom tunes and if you want to try out TSDs tunes they are pretty IMO. I have heard that gearheads tunes are not the best on fuel economy. Either way you go though, get the SCT with custom tunes but I dont recommend getting them from MKM or RCD. I have heard good things about everybody else but those two.

Donnie1

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am new to the tuning/diesel world and have heard people talk about custom tunes, how would I know what I want?

Donnie1

Reaction score
Was doing some reading again and noticed someone had mentioned not running a tuner or getting a custom tune for an unstudded truck. Mine is stock as far as I know. Will running a standard tow tune or mpg tune damage my truck?

windrunner408

Reaction score
Well a well designed custom tune definitely wont cause your truck to break anymore than a stock tune (i.e. you tell the tuner you dont have head studs so he knows how to build the tune). However, if you havent done anything to your truck in the way of performance modifications, i.e. EGR delete, exhaust, intake, etc. then I highly recommend that before you enter any tuning right now. First and foremost get a monitoring device like an Edge CTS, if you dont get the CTS. Take it from someone who has been there and done that. The CTS is the best thing I bought for my truck and I recommend it to everybody. No I dont work for Edge but I LOVE my CTS. I know it can be expensive but you NEED it. The reason why you need it is so you can monitor specific engine parameters that will tell you the health of your motor and can save you from costly engine repairs that could have been avoided. Do some research here first then go to the custom tuning stage. Take care of that truck.

yeehaw

Reaction score
my truck has 159k with stock headgaskets/headbolts and i have never had an issue with it puking, just keep the EGTs down and you should be fine i bet

and healthy oil cooler, correct coolant fill, and also correct newer style degas bottle cap

Donnie1

Reaction score
I have an Edge Insight right now and ordered my new oil cooler today. Already have the EGR delete sitting here waiting to go in when I get the cooler and also doing the flush and replacing with Cat at the same time.

Newer style degas cap? What is that all about?

ezzyke

Reaction score
It is an updated cap for your coolant overflow tank. usually called a degas bottle or exspansion tank.

STROKER

Reaction score
The older degas bpttle caps were 15psi the new ones are 16psi i believe

windrunner408

Reaction score
Yep get those things you have installed and you will be ready to add custom tunes. I'll tell ya for the tunes I have to say that while I have heard good things about innovative and gearhead, I gave TSD a try because I heard they were nice as well and I can tell you their Super Panty Dropper is no joke and is VERY smooth. Now granted it was my first custom tune but at $50 compared to $75 for gearhead and $80 for innovative, I am satisfied. The transmission shifts like a dream. Smooth and firm and the power is nice and linear vice like a switch at a certain boost level. On your insight do you have the EGT probe? If not get one and make sure it is the expandable one so you can upgrade to monitor fuel pressure in the future.

Donnie1

Reaction score
Yep get those things you have installed and you will be ready to add custom tunes. I'll tell ya for the tunes I have to say that while I have heard good things about innovative and gearhead, I gave TSD a try because I heard they were nice as well and I can tell you their Super Panty Dropper is no joke and is VERY smooth. Now granted it was my first custom tune but at $50 compared to $75 for gearhead and $80 for innovative, I am satisfied. The transmission shifts like a dream. Smooth and firm and the power is nice and linear vice like a switch at a certain boost level. On your insight do you have the EGT probe? If not get one and make sure it is the expandable one so you can upgrade to monitor fuel pressure in the future.

Yes I do have the EGT probe. Not sure if it is expandable though. Like I am said I am completely new to tunes and the diesel. A buddy of mine at work loves his Diablosport and was gonna try it on my truck a few weeks ago but it did not recognize my truck, I think it was an older unit and may need to be updated.

I do like my Edge Insight for the monitoring purposes but just wanted to ad some umph for towing and maybe a little ricer play every now and again.

Donnie1

Reaction score
Another question for ya, is there any programmer for the 6.0 that can be done on the fly or do you need to stop and plug in to change the tunes?

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Another question for ya, is there any programmer for the 6.0 that can be done on the fly or do you need to stop and plug in to change the tunes?

There are some that can be on the fly (like edge and a few others)

But, they do not tune the transmission like SCT and if you dont have good transmission tuning, you'll be spending a lot on a new trans after it gives out on you

Donnie1

Reaction score
There are some that can be on the fly (like edge and a few others)

But, they do not tune the transmission like SCT and if you dont have good transmission tuning, you'll be spending a lot on a new trans after it gives out on you

Good point and great info. Since I already have the Edge Insight for monitoring, I'll probably go with the SCT.

Latest posts

Members online