No start, not even a click

FirstSixOh

Reaction score
I worked on the truck all day, mostly removing a security system that came with it. The system was disabled, but I went ahead and removed it anyway because I kept seeing myself standing beside a truck with a siren blaring, lights flashing and no way to stop it. I started the truck and checked gauges and lights at every step. All was good. Last thing to be removed was the alarm on the left side doors. I was certain I did this removal correctly, but I may have induced a failure, and that's on me. I may have run down the batteries, but I doubt it. I'm charging the second battery now, and will try again in an hour. Meantime, anybody have an idea of what this might be? Everything works, except when I turn the key to start, I get nothing, not even a click. Fuse # 31 is OK. Transmission is in Park. I can hear the fuel pump when the key is in run. Glow plug indicator lights and goes out like it always does. There's no lower feeling what I'm having right now.

yeehaw

Reaction score
i keep running into issues where my alarm keeps going off and it does the samething with the key, as soon as i turn to start it does nothing, not even a solenoid click. I just disconnect the left battery and we connect and all is good.

do the lights go completey out when you turn the key? Good chance you did drain the batterys enough that it can't crank but usually it still would click the solenoid

Socalferret

Reaction score
I used to install alarms when I was younger and one item that we essential to an alarm system was the anti theft kill switch. This is built into the brain of the alarm system. Also I tried to disable the alarm on a Chevy Tahoe. Similar, when I took out the brain of the alarm it killed the vehicle. So I installed the brain without the connected systems( door, hood, movement switch). Just left the brain of the alarm. You can always turn off the alarm by putting the key into the ignition and turning the vehicle on. Hope this helps

FirstSixOh

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you. I disconnected each battery, first left, then right, while I made sure they each had a charge. Both batteries in the truck, still nothing. Lights are bright and do not dim at all. Funny thing, I took the brain out about half way through all this, and the truck still started several more times. How could there still be a kill switch in the truck? Could be I missed something. Thanks again.

yeehaw

Reaction score
I used to install alarms when I was younger and one item that we essential to an alarm system was the anti theft kill switch. This is built into the brain of the alarm system. Also I tried to disable the alarm on a Chevy Tahoe. Similar, when I took out the brain of the alarm it killed the vehicle. So I installed the brain without the connected systems( door, hood, movement switch). Just left the brain of the alarm. You can always turn off the alarm by putting the key into the ignition and turning the vehicle on. Hope this helps

mine sets the alarm off with the truck running though?

Spastik monkey

Reaction score
Alot of alarms have an exterior starter kill relay. basically the starter wire in the column is cut and the relay is put in between. look for a dark green wire coming from the steering column. make sure it is intact. should be a decent sized wire

FirstSixOh

Reaction score
Spastik monkey, you are a genious! I found the green wire, which I did not think had been cut, but was. Joined it back together, running! Saved me $$$. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online