Idle Issues after Buildup.

Reaction score
Ok so after the buildup (190's w 75% over nozzles) AD II, Sump & Strictly diesel RR i let the truck run for about 2-3 Hrs at an idle to let everything heat set back in ect.

Here's the skinny:
Truck was a PITA to get started the first time as usual, once started it ran perfect but everytime i shut it down it would take 3 x more cranking to get it started again.

Let it warm up again this morning for about 45 minutes while i was cleaning the shop. Took it out for it's break in run, made it 2 miles at a moderate pace about 3/4 into the pedal. When i stopped at the stop sign the truck was idling rough and would not smooth back out. Fuel Pressure off the AD II is +/-55 psi and stayed the same the whole time. RR pressure is about the same +/- a couple PSI. It doesn't matter what i do to the AD II or the RR PSI setting wise it will not level/smooth out. It stumbles up to about 1000 rpm them its silky smooth all the way to full pedal, there is still a ton of power and its smooth on the highway.

Any ideas? Also the FICM is un-tuned and i am waiting on tunes for Innovative.

I think its a fuel/timing issue but has anyone had the same problems or have any ideas?
Thanks guys!

Extended Power

Reaction score
Run some AE software to see which injector is not firing.
Clear the codes, and run it again.
Any time i have changed injectors and had a miss...no matter what people say about air in the system...it was always a bad injector.

Reaction score
Thanks, the weird thing is it ran (idle'd) fine for 3 hrs right after startup the first time, then it only made a couple miles before at load the miss started.

I have since troubleshot the **** out of everything else and it seems that maybe i have a AD or regulator issue on the RR. I have the AD II and no matter what i do to it or the Regulator on the return i cannot get the fuel pressure above 40-50 psi now and prior to all this happenning it was set at 65 psi and reading 60+ in the cab. I am going to dead head test the AD tomorrow and make sure it's ok then plug the return lines to see if it builds pressure (i think maybe the regulator is just passing by and not holding any pressure)

Extended Power

Reaction score
Fuel pressure isn't causing the miss though...I ran my truck for 2000 miles on an electric Holley Blue pump when my FASS 150/180 died in Lima, Ohio...
They ran with no problem at 13 psi....mind you I wasn't doing any high performance driving....just gettin back home.

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
Who's injectors, some guys weld the spill ports which cause they to have erratic idle, run rough but as soon as you press on the peddle it smooth

strokin6L

Reaction score
you sure you torqued them all down tight? Wonder if an o-ring got cut or copper washer didn't seat. Hook it up to a scanner and see if there are any contribution faults/miss fires with any cylinders.

Reaction score
All the injectors were thumb ratchet seated, then torqued to spec, the cups were cleaned, blown out with compressed air, and the o-rings were thoughoughly oiled with 5 w 40 full synthetic before installing. They all torqued down the same with no issues, you could feel them seat as usual.

Reaction score
It stumbles for the first +/- 500 rpm off idle then takes right off and smooth as a button. Then when it revs down same thing, revs down to just above idle then starts to miss/stumble.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
yupp :whs:

if im driving and let off the throttle it idles at 900ish rpm until I come to 15mph then it idles down to 675.

How would you describe this stumble the first 500rpm then smooths out? I noticed that with my truck my 03 turbo makes it sounds like the injectors are missing, almost as if the vgt is fluttering, but the truck runs smooth and builds boost no problems.

I didnt think cass built his this way, i have warrens injectors.

strokin6L

Reaction score
i have casserly 190's and don't experience any problems with mine. I didn't notice anything welded on mine when i installed them.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Thats cuz the welding is on the inside of the injector body.

Maybe one of the welded ports has a pinhole in the weld...

Find out which one it is, and swap it out...send it back for repair.

Reaction score
Okso i went to Ford today and had everything tested again. Results:
Power Balance test= #7 has dead miss
Relative compression test, all at 0%
Injector Self test= Passes test, but #7 injector very weak sounding on the click test
Needs Inj #7.
FICM=OK
ICP= OK
All other test's=OK

Basically the #7 injector is getting power, testing fine but just not firing. This explains why the truck idled fine for 3 or more hours after the buildup, then on the road test it must have piled up internally. Every other injector is 100% no compression leaks past the copper seals ect.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
eithe swap the entire injector or the solenoid. nice to have it narrowed down.

Reaction score
Swap'ing the whole injector, doesn't matter timewise just went back to work for goddamn 23 days so no rush, but driving the F150 gasser is just not cutting it and it's only day #1. Fack!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.