Hydro-Locked...

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
How often does this happen with a blown EGR? I thought at first I had a blown EGR, but I pulled the EGR valve today, and it was pretty dry on the bottom...

The truck has been hard to start and has been smoking white for a while after being cranked cold. I did some tests yesterday with AE and it buzzed fine and was looking good on the power balance.

Oil temps were 25+ higher so I was going after the oil cooler and gonna test the GPM. NOW it looks like I need to pull the gp's and figure out what fluid is in there...

Any insight?

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I forgot to add my secondary assessment. I think the exhaust smelled most like unburnt diesel, but I assumed it was PCM related. Im wondering if maybe it's a stuck injector?

davey99ps

Reaction score
I just went through something similar. I had tons of white smoke, an a bad knock. Pulled the injectors and ended up having a failed copper washer on 2 injectors, cass told me fuel was getting pulled past the injector an basically filling the cylinder. Good luck figuring it out

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
the best way to find out what bank is to free it up, by turning the engine counter clockwise about 8 times.. turn it clockwise by hand to make sure its ok, go ahead and bump the key. if you can get it freed up again, take the lid off the secondary fuel filer, take filter out, fill it with fuel, dont use the key, jump the wire by the passener side and use that to crank motor over... do it with both feed lines attatched first. if there are bubble, take off one line... if the bubbles go away, it was that bank...

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Ok. Just out of curiosity, Im going pretty deep into there to do an oil cooler R&R. Should I just pull the GP's and turn it over by hand to diagnose it instead of all of that?

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Ok. Just out of curiosity, Im going pretty deep into there to do an oil cooler R&R. Should I just pull the GP's and turn it over by hand to diagnose it instead of all of that?

Thats what I do. Less likely to hurt something, and really doesnt take that long. You most likely have a loose injector hold down that caused the copper to burn then burn the o ring allowing fuel into the cylinder.

01platinum

Reaction score

I see someone already quoted this but that is the way that i would do it.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
No offense to CTC because I know he's knowledgeable, and if I weren't actually going in there anyway, I would have definitely tried his way, but I think I'm going to pull the GP's.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
My old 6.0 hydrolocked from a leaky EGR cooler once. It completely locked the motor down.

I've read it a few times on the interet, but would their be coolant on the top and bottom of the EGR valve? I saw some "wetness" on the top but it looked more like CCV oil than coolant...

mike@haller's

Reaction score
I've read it a few times on the interet, but would their be coolant on the top and bottom of the EGR valve? I saw some "wetness" on the top but it looked more like CCV oil than coolant...

Generally if its leaking coolant bad enough to hydraulic you will see quite a bit of wetness around the valve. another thing to try is leave the egr valve out and pressurize the coolant system. if the cooler is leaking you will see the coolant start to pool in the intake. But from what you describe ill bet its an injector issue not coolant.

Latest posts

Members online