Home Made Traction Bars: My How-To

wint

Reaction score
Needing the function of traction bars but not wanting to pay for the kits available I decided to build my own.

My parts list consisted of:
10ft stick of 1.5in sch 40 tubing
1/4in and 3/8in plate steel
(2) Category 1, tractor top links
(4) Top link pins
(8) 3/8s bolts
I started by cutting down my pipe to 2 5ft lengths. I then cut my top links in half. The top links had a slightly larger OD than the pipes ID. So after grinding the top links down to a tight, taper fit into the pipe, I beat the top links in 2.5in.

Then welded them in.

A coat of paint and they were good to go.

Next was the axle mounts. I started with laying under the truck and coming up with a design template.

Then proceeded transfer the idea to metal.

Plasma cutter makes quick work of these!

I then popped a 3/4in hole into each of them.

Figured out my placement and spacing and welded them on.

Next task was to figure out a front mount. I looked around on the frame for a suitable mounting point. I found 4 holes placed in line with the transfercase. After figuring out the drilling pattern I put the holes into the 3/8s plate. Then drilled another 3/4in hole. Using the top link pins I welded them in as studs.

For extra strength i opened a hole in some 1/4 plate and plug welded the back of the stud to it.

I have them finished but dont have any pictures due to it being dark. I will be sure to post some tomorrow though!

vcassens

Reaction score
Looks good but I think you might end up bending the pin on the frame but I could be wrong LOL and I hope I am for you sake

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
I have seen some people bend the top pins that you are using for the frame, others have ran them like that and been fine. The way you fabbed it looks pretty stout so i would imagine that you will fall into the latter group. IMO it wouldn't be hard to box that bracket in so that you had 2 points of contact and be damn sure that they are not going anywhere.

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
The tractor links aren't going to work for very long...the thread spacing is too wide and they will begin to work themselves loose....

...not to mention that the "nut" is about 1/8" wide...that will strip out rather quickly.

...you'll start noticing them clanking, then clunking, then finally....separating.

...ditch those $30 tractor joints and get hiems that are rated for some force.

Looks good but I think you might end up bending the pin on the frame but I could be wrong LOL and I hope I am for you sake

yup..another possible failure point

Last edited:

wint

Reaction score
The tractor links aren't going to work for very long...the thread spacing is too wide and they will begin to work themselves loose....

...not to mention that the "nut" is about 1/8" wide...that will strip out rather quickly.

...you'll start noticing them clanking, then clunking, then finally....separating.

...ditch those $30 tractor joints and get hiems that are rated for some force.

yup..another possible failure point

I know of several other trucks running this style with lots of miles and use and havent had any trouble with them. Yes the nut is thin, not quite an 1/8in. Guess ill see if they fail or not....

Isaac3384

Reaction score
My Nissan pickup was bagged over 10 years ago with the link bars from tractor supply, and before I tore everything apart to update it, everything worked fine... Granted, it didn't see the same amount of power the power strokes put out, but it was the ONLY thing that held my axle in place. Around 50k miles and no problems on the setup. I think you'll be just fine.

wint

Reaction score
Thanks for the complements guys. I can't take full credit for the actual bars, that you idea was given to me by a few friends. But the brackets were you ideas I thought of. Ill be sure to let everyone know how it all works out.

Latest posts

Members online