refilling after flush ?????????

dasboot

Reaction score
Flush the radiator and ran restore and restore plus.
After cleaning out system my last flush was distelled water. after flushing and getting all the cleaner and water out of the system, I went to fill with Distilled water. Thinking I was going to fill with about 6-7 gal and then drain and refill with coolant and distilled water.
I was only able to put about three gallon of the DW in it. So, I opened the drain to drain all the water out. The water still looked soapy. so I put the filtered tap in flushing it out and testing water clearness with a glass jar. After I was satisfied the water was clear. I drained the system by radiator drain plug only . Installed the new t-stat. I went to fill up with what I though was going to be 3 gallons of Ford gold coolant and about 4 gallons of distilled water. I was only able to put 2 gallons of coolant and 1 distilled.
Could there still be about 4 gallons of water in the engine?
Now I have a mix of 2 gal coolant 1 gallon distilled and 4 gallons filtered tap.
I ran the truck to 190* and waited for the t-stat to open and see if the level dropped. Nothing? staying at min level.

Ok what did I do wrong or do I need to drive it some?

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Block drain on driver side needs to be pulled... and you need to be filling the system VIA vacuum

dasboot

Reaction score
Block drain on driver side needs to be pulled... and you need to be filling the system VIA vacuum

CTC

all the reading I have done on PSN and PSA, no where did I see anything about having to use a VIA. I did find something you had posted on PSN about using a VIA after the fact.

I think we might have one at the shop. Hopefully I can get it done tomorrow.

will I still have to pull the block drain plug? Why? Can I still finish filling using the via? I'm not to concerned about mixed coolant , tap water and Distilled water. I can't aford to buy more coolant and water.
Thanks
Curt

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I meant VIA as is VIA vacuum... The technical name, well for mine is the AirLift.... you want to pull the block drain to get most of the water out.. If you dont its not the cleaniest of fills and your coolant vs water ratio isnt good

dasboot

Reaction score
ya'll quit sending the responses now, they are over whelming. Thoughts for next time. I came to conclusion that there is no air pocket, if there is any, it's too small to worry about. Next flush at the end when it is time to refill, I will pour 10 gallons of distilled water through the engine. After the radiaitor drain quits draining, I will close everything off and pour the 3 gals of coolant in. Presto. I have the right mixture and amount.
I was able to use the last remaining distilled water for a batch of home made beer.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.